German Blue Rams Advice

1. ash182 Initiate Member

I am looking to buy 2 German Blue Rams for my 60L community tank. I've read on ThinkFish.com that they grow to 4cm but on fishlore is states they grow between 5-7.5cm?

Is it best to get a male and female or can you have two females as i've read that a male and female can become quite territorial and agressive during breeding?

Thanks

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Welcome to FishLore. :)
    In my limited experience with them, my pair became very aggression during spawning, especially to my Dwarf Gourami.
    I think tank size has something to do with that. I had them in a 30g. Other members have them in larger tanks and didn't have the same aggression issues.
    I don't have experience keeping 2 of the same gender, someone else will have to comment on that.
    GBR's can get up to 3".

Enjoy the forum!

3. ash182 Initiate Member

Hi thanks for ur input, I'm thinking of maybe just getting one or two females as the tank is pretty small and a pair would probably become quite aggressive.

Does any1 know how a female ram would do by itself?

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I've never kept them alone, I've read that do ok alone.
    They're gorgeous fish!
    I'm sure other members will chime in. :)

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I tried keeping 2 pairs in my 45, but unsuccessfully. Now, if they were 2 ACTUAL pairs and not just 2m/2f, perhaps it would have worked. I ended up with one male wanting both females, so he would beat up on the other male. I ended up moving a pair to another tank.

Other than that, my experience with them has been bad - all the ones I've ever bought from the lfs die within a couple months, often less. The ones I currently have I bought from someone on a forum, and they're doing great. IMO and E, the quality of the stock from the lfs is horrible. You're much better off finding a private breeder. They generally take much better care of their fish.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member