German Blue Ram With Tetra?

Jzang1987

HI all!!! I would like to add a german blue ram with my fishes.... They are absolutely stunning fish and since I only have small fish... Adding a bigger fish I think would balance it out. Here's what I currently have in my 30 gallon tank:

6 black phantoms
5 bloodfin tetras
4 glolight danios
And 2 yoyos

My tank holds at 75 degrees. I'm hoping he would fit in nicely. Is there any reason I shouldn't get one?

MrBryan723

About 10° of water temperature difference would be a good reason. Bolivian rams could handle that but gbrs prefer much warmer water.

Feohw

Yeah that temp would be ideal for bolivians. Not so much GBR.

Jzang1987

nbalaw2016

GBRs really do seem healthier at 82+. Bolivians would be ideal for your tank.

Feohw

Jzang1987 said:
I just looked up water temps for all heres what I found:

GBR: 78-85
Black phantom tetra: 72-82
Bloodfin tetra: 70-80
Glofish danios: 72-80
Yoyo loach: 75-80

So what if I raise my tank water slowly to 79-80 degrees? I still wouldn't work??
Its best to keep them around 2 degrees from highest or lowest. That GBR one is wrong though. Best temps are 82-86 (try for this if you have them) and 80 is fine. Not entirely sure about the ideal temps of the others but keeping them at max temp isn't great imo.

Jzang1987

Oh okay I gotcha. That makes sense. I'll look into Bolivian ram instead. Do you have to get 2 (male and female) or can you just get 1?

MrBryan723

I keep my gbrs at 80 with no issues, they breed, eat ect just fine. But the other fish will have an increased metabolism at those temps and shorter lifes. Gbrs are a delicate fish that can easily get sick at the lower temps.

MrBryan723

Jzang1987 said:
Oh okay I gotcha. That makes sense. I'll look into Bolivian ram instead. Do you have to get 2 (male and female) or can you just get 1?
You can do just one.

Jzang1987

Okay thanks for the help I'll definitely be considering that one instead of the German blue Ram

bwer2

80 is perfectly fine...my brother has had his GBRs at 80 going on 3 years

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom