IMG_20180501_231555.jpg
IMG_20180501_231508.jpg
IMG_20180501_231354.jpg

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
GBR males have no pink at all.. i definitely see pink on GBR1 but i'm not sure about GBR2.

akhilash95

Reaction score
BobNJerry said:
GBR males have no pink at all.. i definitely see pink on GBR1 but i'm not sure about GBR2.
I suspect all 3 are females as even gbr2 has a pink hue over its body.
Thank you!

Are females territorial?
The gbr1 acts like an alpha bullying other fish sometimes

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i had 3 females at one point and there was one out of the group that was a little bossy lol

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
akhilash95 said:
I suspect all 3 are females as even gbr2 has a pink hue over its body.
Thank you!

Are females territorial?
The gbr1 acts like an alpha bullying other fish sometimes
I definitely agree, I think all three are females. None of them look like they're in their prime by any means, and am I correct in assuming they're juveniles? Their color definitely hasn't filled in all the way. Even without taking the pink coloration into account, none of the dorsal fins seem to have the telltale male spines near the front. Usually males have one or more spines that tower above the rest while females have a much more level dorsal fin. It's more observable in healthy adults however. In regards to aggression, GBR's tend to prefer to be in pairs. You can pair two fish of the same sex but I've found they usually prefer to be in pairs and it's usually what's recommended.
I doubt there would be any significant aggression but it always depends on the fish's individual personality. If I had to guess, one may rise as the alpha, common behavior seen in most species. Even though German blues are one of the most peaceful cichlids (South American, not African,) they can be territorial nonetheless. Mine have always differed greatly in personality from wildly annoying to the most outgoing friendly fish in the tank. Now if they aren't all females, you'll be more likely to run into trouble aggression-wise.

Post thought: You're able to judge color better than any of us because the camera can't pick up everything. If you say you see pink on all of them, I believe you. One trick I've used is take a good picture and use photoshop to make the colors really pop. After that you'll really see the underlying colors. Only trouble is finding the balance because over-saturating can make colors start to appear where they weren't really before.

akhilash95

Reaction score
live4wetsleeves said:
Post thought: You're able to judge color better than any of us because the camera can't pick up everything. If you say you see pink on all of them, I believe you. One trick I've used is take a good picture and use photoshop to make the colors really pop. After that you'll really see the underlying colors. Only trouble is finding the balance because over-saturating can make colors start to appear where they weren't really before.
I'm just hoping that gbr1 is a male! (It has some pink on its dorsal fin but no pink on the belly)
Gbr2 n 3 are definitely females with clearly visible pink coloration over their belly.
Will save me a trip to the LFS
Here's my last ditch effort of a clear picture
IMG_20180502_082705__01.jpg

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
akhilash95 said:
I'm just hoping that gbr1 is a male!
Gbr2 n 3 are definitely females with clearly visible pink coloration over their belly.
Will save me a trip to the LFS
Here's my last ditch effort of a clear picture View attachment 434642
Well, judging by that picture, I'd say it's possible! Here check this out:
a22f2dc451acfe97563a3a7a3fc15c68.jpg
I cranked the saturation and I don't see much pink. I think it's still pretty young, my current female really didn't show any pink until she was moving into the adult stage and her colors really popped. I'm not 100% sure how two females would act if there was only one male between the both of them. I fear that they would get aggressive towards each other because there is only one mate for both of them. It could also be that they get along just fine because there's one male and two females, it just depends on the fish. I doubt there would be any major aggression unless there were two males.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The female that comes into condition first, or is nearest to it, will pair up with the male. The other female won't be tolerated.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom