Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

German Blue Ram Sexing Needed

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Gardenia123, May 24, 2019.

1. Gardenia123 New Member Member

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

That's definitely a boy.

3. Coptapia Well Known Member Member

I wouldn’t like to say on this one. It has long-fin genes so they can’t be used. I’d go 60% underfed male, 40% female.

4. bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

What tells you it has long fin genes?

5. Coptapia Well Known Member Member

The caudal fin is much longer than standard, so it’s a safe bet to assume the others are also exaggerated.

6. bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

I see! Ok!

@coralbandit
    @AquaticJ

7. coralbandit Fishlore VIP Member

I was going to say not happy or healthy male . Pretty skinny . I might worm and try to feed as much as possible..
    Doesn't matter sexing longfins IMO . At least not most I have tried to own ..
    I had what I would still bet money was a pair and they never spawned although they lived together about 6 months.
    When the 'female ' died I added the 'male' to one of my groups of grow outs , figuring it would pair with someone or someone would pair with it …
    Months later I remembered one of my favorite lessons fish have taught me .. As soon as you think you can predict mother nature she will make a fool of you !:rolleyes:
    In a tank of over 60 rams do you think that long fin ever found even a friend ??? No ..
    I would only buy long fins from a breeder even in my quest to have what others don't..
    They are my missing ram ….:confused:

8. Gardenia123 New Member Member

He seems to be very skittish
    So anytime I come near the tank he does swim all the way to the back of the tank
    I only recently got him from the pet store and he would not eat flake food
    So I have him on frozen blood worms and brine shrimp.
    Is there anything else I could feed to fatten him up or should I up the feeding schedule?

9. AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

I’d wait until he/she gets settled a bit more. If the temperature is not 80+, fix that. Bloodworms are great for fattening, just don’t go overboard and bloat them.