German Blue Ram Questions

1. GoldieBubbles Member Member

These are kind of random questions that I want to know the answer to because I am getting a mating pair of GBRs for my 58 gallon once I get it cycled and all the other fish in (I am not trying to get fry but I want 2 GBRs and the only way to keep 2 peacefully is a mated pair) so these are my questions-
    1. What are the chances that my GBRs will be good parents?
    2. Has anyone had their GBRs successfully raise fry?
    3. Are GBRs raised by their parents more likely to be good parents themselves?
    Thanks!

2. Charles556 Member Member

First off, I want to give you a virtual handshake for picking GBRs. You won't regret it.

1. With younger fish, they are more likely to fail at caring for their first couple of batches. Unless you have fish that continuously eat the eggs or fry, even after a dozen or more spawns, then you only need to continue keeping the water clean, feeding the fish well, and giving them time. Once the parents get the hang of raising eggs, then you should see the eggs make it to the fry stage.

2. Unfortunately, I haven't, so someone else will have to help you with that one. Mine will spawn every 2 weeks or so, but since they're relatively young and I'm not that interested in raising fry, I don't mind too much if the parents or other fish eat the eggs/wrigglers/fry.

3. That's a good question. I know a lot of breeders hand-raise cichlids like Angelfish, Discus, and Rams without creating abnormal numbers of offspring with terrible parenting skills. I've also read that Angelfish inbreeding has caused modern day aquarium angelfish to be terrible parents, but I don't know if that's true or if it applies to GBRs.

Hope this helps a little.

3. GoldieBubbles Member Member

Thanks Charles556 ! I am super excited about the GBRs because they seem to have so much personality plus they are gorgeous! I didn't expect anyone to know the answer to the last question, I am just really curious. Hopefully I get some good parents!