German Blue Ram Pairs?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by fijisteve, Apr 24, 2017.

1. fijisteveValued MemberMember

I have bought 13 german blue rams, with plans for breeding. I have bought each one from a different shop to help with a stronger line (no inbreeding).
    They are in a 150ltr and quite happy.
    Over the last few days, i have noticed a definate 3 pairs. They barely leave each others side and have definate territory.
    My question is.
    Should i sell on, the unpaired or are they ok?
    Obviously, selling the unpaired will give the pairs more space.
    Please skip the obligatory parameter questions. It's well cycled, and very stable. All good there.
    I'm just worried that when the pairs breed, keeping the singles will add stress.
    Any advice welcome.

2. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAntWell Known MemberMember

39 gallons (150ltrs) is too small for three pairs, and way too small for 13 Bolivian rams..

If you can remove the pairs and put them all into their own separate tanks, they'd be a lot less stressed and you'd have a larger survival rate of fry.

Another improvement of removing the pairs is that allows more pairs to form and seeing how your goal is to breed, more breeding pairs means more breeding.

Question, if your goal was them to pair off, why'd you buy and odd number of them?

3. OP
    OP
    f

fijisteveValued MemberMember

Thanks.
    In answer to your last question.
    I bought 2 females from the same shop as they were the last 2.

4. OP
    OP
    f

Also, doesn't seperating them onto pairs stress them anyway? Everything ive read or heard, says they prefer to be in groups and stay calmer that way.

5. KaderTheAnt

KaderTheAntWell Known MemberMember

Makes sense I suppose.

The pair may be stressed at first but in the end, they're going to be a lot less stressed being with each other and breeding vs. being in a tank with fish that could possibly harm their fry and breeding.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

What are the dimensions of your tank?

7. OP
    OP
    f

800×500×400. Outside measurements.
    Why?
    It's 150ltrs of water.
    We already know that.

8. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

The dimensions affect stocking and in most cases are more important than volume.

9. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I would get rid of any that haven't paired up yet so you can start focusing i breeding and raising fry

10. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

As that tank is only 31" long, I wouldn't keep more than 2 pair in there. Yes, they can be kept in groups, but it works out better in larger tanks or in a harem type setup (1 M, multiple females).

11. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

By the way, I know you mentioned getting them from different local stores, but did you ask the stores who their supplier was? Very often large farms supply to most lfs.

12. OP
    OP
    f

I thought that jocelyn, so i asked. Turned out that 2 shops used the same supplier, but the rest were from different local breeders. I suppose there's always a chance, but by buying them all from the same tank, you're guaranteed brothers and sisters.
    Also, whilst this thread has been going, i now have 5 pairs and 3 odd ones.
    And one pair have eggs.
    Anyway, i have spent the day hunting down and cleaning used tanks. After a lot of driving and haggling, I have sourced 2 45ltr and 3 64ltr, all with there own filters, heaters and lights, for about £100, so by the end of today, each pair will have it's own tank.
    The pair with the eggs, will obviously get to stay in the 150ltr, as the eggs are on the filter.
    EXCITED!

13. OP
    OP
    f

Back again.
    1 of my pairs have changed behaviour.
    It's one pair in a 40ltr. Nice set up. they were very happy and over the last couple of days, their colours have bloomed.
    Last night, all was well and i watched as the pair calmly cleaned their area, ready for spawning.
    I tried to stay awake and watch, but it went on for hours and i eventually decided, nothing was going to happen whilst i was there.
    I came down this morning, to find the male chasing the female, but not little bursts. Full on, round and round the tank.
    Should i remove him, or is this normal?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice