German Blue Ram Pair? Help

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by AdeebMd, May 16, 2018.

1. AdeebMd

AdeebMd New Member Member

Did my research and got these two GBRs. Although I was not sure if the female (bigger than the male currently) is really a female. The male is chasing her around sometimes (no violence) and sometimes they do this kinda behavior:

Is this courtship behavior or are they both males?

2. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

Welcome aboard!

3. Tsin21

Tsin21 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

About your fish, I might be mistaken but they both look like male to me.

4. bitseriously

bitseriously Well Known Member Member

At that size, I'd be shocked if a female didn't have a prominently pink belly. Also, if it was courtship, and if one was a female, then again, belly would be really pink.
    So my money is on two males, duking it out. If the tank isn't bigger than it looks, you might be in for some problems. :(
    Will your lfs exchange one of them?

5. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

You have two males, females will have a very bright pink belly even when stressed, that makes them easy to tell apart in store because males will not have this feature.

6. OP
    OP
    AdeebMd

AdeebMd New Member Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did look for traits of a male and female when choosing these two. Do note that these are still juvenile and especially the female is not in breeding color. The reason I chose her was because of the speckles on her black dot, which is not really clear from the video. Currently, the female is occasionally chased by the male but sometimes they just hang about together like a couple. So I am a bit undecided whether I should do an exchange with my LFS or just wait and see until the female matures.

7. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

You do not have a female. A female that is in breeding mode is going to have a rounded abdomen from eggs and before that point she will display a pink belly. Neither of you fish are displaying in a breeding manner but a territorial manner that males show. They are not trying to breed and if it has gone to chasing the male chasing is the winner of their territory dispute meaning he will kill the other one because it is in his territory.

8. bigdreams

bigdreams Well Known Member Member

Definitely looks like two males butting heads in a territory fight. You should add more plants or ornaments or something to break the line of sight in the tank. Whatever is in the GBR's line of sight will be claimed his territory. If you could add some well placed decor to split the tank in two they should be ok, or at least better than the current situation.

9. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Spangles on the black spot is a very unreliable characteristic for sexing Rams. Those are both males, arguing over territory.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice