German Blue Ram Hiding A Lot

JRose
I started with two GBR(m&f). The male bullied the female pretty bad so I removed her, she later died. The male has seemed content as the only one in the tank with my rummy nose, corys and otos. But for the last couple days he’s been hiding behind/under the driftwood in the jungle Val. He was very active before even when he wasn’t chasing the female. Not sure what’s wrong with him. Any thoughts?

Dunk2
Water parameters?
Water change schedule?
Water Temperature?

JRose
Sorry about the title typo

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20ppm
82°
Weekly water changes(happening tomorrow)
Everybody else acting normal

Dunk2
Parameters and temperature look ok.

How much water are you changing every week and what are you feeding?

Can you tell if the GBR is eating? Can you post a picture of it?

JRose
40-50%
Tetramin tropical flakes twice a day
Algae wafers 2-3 times a week
Frozen blood worms 1-2 times a week
He does eat, every time I feed.
Pics attached(taken just now)

Attachments

• 9672C528-9EE3-409F-91AA-207DCFD28AEB.jpeg
    9672C528-9EE3-409F-91AA-207DCFD28AEB.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 37
  • A4BF7E7F-D35C-413E-9B91-81DC72BFAF77.jpeg
    A4BF7E7F-D35C-413E-9B91-81DC72BFAF77.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 68BBEC5C-66D2-48F4-BC01-D9F6766355FC.jpeg
    68BBEC5C-66D2-48F4-BC01-D9F6766355FC.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 36
Dunk2
Other than maybe having faded color?, I don’t see anything visibly wrong with him. I’ll tag the GBR guru coralbandit .

Rams can be slow eaters, sometimes making it difficult for them in a community tank. Their diet should be varied but higher in proteins . . Some folks won’t do this, but I feed my Rams frozen bloodworms every day. Maybe increase his bloodworm feedings?

Where did you get him and how long have you had him?

JRose
I got him from a local fish keeper (not a breeder) about a month ago.

Thanks! I’ll try increasing his bloodworm meals. Hopefully he can get to it quick enough before the corys get to it.

Dunk2
I got him from a local fish keeper (not a breeder) about a month ago.

Thanks! I’ll try increasing his bloodworm meals. Hopefully he can get to it quick enough before the corys get to it.

The quality and health of Rams most often depends on the quality of the breeder.

Except for a few I was able to raise on my own, all my Rams were raised by coralbandit. I’d highly recommend him, especially after trying Rams from other sources.

JRose
Does he ship? Not quite ready yet, but I will be. I really like them. I’m brand new but I'm really gettin into it.

Dunk2
Does he ship? Not quite ready yet, but I will be. I really like them. I’m brand new but I'm really gettin into it.

He does. He’s based out of NY.

I’m sure he’ll respond to this thread. When he does, tell him he owes me one!

Ryngwrayth
He looks really really pale. I might put him in a QT and watch him. Have you taken the temp with a thermometer to be certain your heater is accurate?

JRose
What should I be watching for?

I keep a thermometer in the tank. I don’t trust the heater to tell me the temp

Ryngwrayth
What should I be watching for?

I keep a thermometer in the tank. I don’t trust the heater to tell me the temp
Unfortunately Rams sometimes are hard to keep. I started with four (two pair) and have two now, a separated pair. The male was bullying so they live in separate tanks now.

nothing in the tank could have stressed him? Does he poop normally? He looks maybe a tiny bit thin to me.

mine does come up to eat with the Rainbows and Congos which I know is weird...but does he eat happily and enthusiastically? Mine love to eat and will pick at algae wafers as well as meaty food.

BAE88297-3886-44A3-84DD-5D506FB9AED1.jpeg

JRose
Yes to all of that. You pretty much described mine. I just fed some frozen blood worms a little bit ago and he’s all over it. I’ll try to increase the frequency of bloodworm feedings. Just trying not to over feed the tank as I already have a rams horn problem without feeding to much.

Also, that is a beautiful ram!

Dunk2
I just fed some frozen blood worms a little bit ago and he’s all over it.

That’s a good sign I think. If you’re concerned about over feeding, try to do some targeted feeding by placing them in smaller amounts in the area where he’s at.

Ryngwrayth
The advantage of the QT is that you can watch him eat and poop, and kinda control the parameters a bit. But it is always 50/50 if the move will cause more stress.

Rams are sensitive and IME hiding isn’t normal or a good sign. So just really keep a close eye.

coralbandit
I might also offer some vitamins . I like Boyds Vita Chem .
He may be beginning HITH[Hole In he Head ].
Hard to tell if the holes are just sensory pits or possible a symptom of issue ..

Not all rams color up the same IME .

JRose
Ok thanks. If it is early sign of HITH will the vitamin help heal it? What do I need to do to get ahead of it before it’s a thing?

JRose
I haven’t got the vitamins yet, but he seems to be a fan of the increase in bloodworm feeding. Still hiding a little. But progress... I hope.

Attachments

• A5560565-0BE8-4E8D-AF03-E9A68DAEF8F2.jpeg
    A5560565-0BE8-4E8D-AF03-E9A68DAEF8F2.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 22

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
J. MacGregor
Replies
Views
Kait28
Replies