German Blue Ram Death Help

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Nikki2577, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Nikki2577

Nikki2577Well Known MemberMember

Hello,
    Tonight I lost my beautiful female German Blue Ram. It was so fast! She didn’t greet me when I checked on them this afternoon so I knew something was horribly wrong. She was resting on some leaves breathing heavily. I immediately checked the water and it was fine. I decided to do a 20% water change just to make sure the water was as close to perfect as I could. She died within an hour. She did seem to be bloated a little. She was fine this morning to greet me as she always did. She lived with her mate and laid eggs every other week or so. She was very healthy as far as I could tell. Nothing was added to this tank for months. I did my normal water change last Tuesday of 30%. It is a 29 gallon planted tank and had only the two German Blue Rams and some ramshorn snails. Anyone have any idea as to why she crashed so fast? I will be monitoring the tank and changing a small amount of water daily since I have no idea what happened. Also, should I try and get another female or will the male be happy residing in the tank alone?
    Ammonia-0
    Nitrite-0
    Nitrate- 10
    Ph-7.0

2. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Condolences for your loss :(

3. OP
    OP
    Nikki2577

Thank you very much!

4. Tokie Wartooth

Tokie WartoothNew MemberMember

Sounds like you did everything you could.

5. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

:emoji_frowning2: Sometimes fish just die. Over the last year I have lost a few. I read a post awhile back, which made sense to me. It really is out of our control. All we can do is our best to provide a eco-system for them. Most times if we did it properly, and everything is good. It's still up to "Mother Nature". As far as adding anymore fish at this time, I would wait and see if you have anymore problems. Do a larger water change and monitor. Hope this helps.

6. OP
    OP
    Nikki2577

I did but do you think changing the 20% of water was a bad thing? Maybe I should have just let it be she would still be her with her mate living healthy:(

7. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

RIP little fishy

8. OP
    OP
    Nikki2577

I agree with this wholeheartedly but she was so happy that morning. It’s just hard for me to understand. I could understand if the nitrates were high and the conditions in the tank we unacceptable. Is my male going to be depressed because he is alone? While she was letting go he would keep going over to her and nudging her and it broke my heart. I will do a 50 % water change tomorrow and see how things are going.

9. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

As long as you did it properly (temp and dechlorinator) it was fine. It appears there was a problem before the water changes.

10. OP
    OP
    Nikki2577

Thank you all for your support.

Yes she was breathing heavily and just laying on stuff. I did the water change and it seemed to help for like 10 minutes. She swam a tiny bit but then went back to being supported by the plants. Then did the spastic swim and passed away. I don’t know what to look for she was pooping the correct color and her colors were bright. If my male starts the same actions is there something else I can try to save him?

Temp was exact as I use a python and test the water before I put it in for the temp to be accurate. Prime was used as the dechlorinator.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018
  11. DarkOne

DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

Sorry for your loss.

GBRs tend to be fragile because most breeders use meds to keep as many alive as possible. This can have adverse affects on the fish when the meds are absent.

12. OP
    OP
    Nikki2577

That is so sad:( does anyone know where I could get one that I could buy online from a reputable seller?

13. DarkOne

DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

Discus Madness has some beautiful Rams. I was there last week and their GBRs are tank raised and really beautiful. They go above and beyond most fish stores and their prices are very reasonable but shipping is not cheap.

Trins is another site favorite.

If you have a PetCo with a good aquatics section, that might be a good choice. I got my pair during a black friday sale at my local PetCo and they're doing great. This PetCo is better maintained than some LFS I've seen though.

14. OP
    OP
    Nikki2577

Thank you so much everyone for the help. I will keep my eye on my little boy to make sure all is ok for about a month before I introduce a female or two.

I thank you for the information. I will probably try and order them from one of the two places you suggested in a month or so. The Petco here isn’t that great, I don’t want fish that have been altered in anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice