German Blue Ram Colour Fading And Brightening

1. TankTickler

TankTickler New Member Member

Hey guys,

I had a question about my german blue rams, i have 4 in my 40 gal and i noticed something a little strange with the colouring on one of them. There's one confirmed pair and 2 that are either both males or possibly 1 of them is a female i can't tell yet as they are still juvies. The one potential female seems to be squabbling with the male thats not involved in the pair. I noticed that as they go at it he or she seems to fade in colour rapidly almost to the point where you can't see the black spot, and then all of the sudden brighten back up, is this due to stress or is there some sort of mating type ritual that could be the culprit? I'm a little worried as i haven't noticed this in either of the rams in the confirmed pair.... any insight would be appreciated thanks!!

2. P

PAND3MIC Valued Member Member

It is directly correlated to stress. Many fish species lose vibrance when they are stressed, some change colors in coorelation to the things around them, and some even lose color when they are excited by something. In this case, I would say that your ram is being stressed by your other fish. Many fish become hostile when they begin to bed

3. OP
    OP
    TankTickler

TankTickler New Member Member

Thanks for the reply.... i was thinking stress but not quite sure as he or she would colour back up after or even during the fight.... also, would it be possible to have a dominant female? The one looks to be female but she's showing a lot of aggression, the one thats losing its colour appears to be male, sometimes he just swims away and hides but other times he kind of "dances" with her and they nip back and forth its hard to explain.... it doesn't look like its doing any harm though

4. P

PAND3MIC Valued Member Member

No problem :D

Yes, it is highly possible among fish for a female to be dominant. In schools of many species, the "alpha" is usually the largest female. Also, if two fish pair off, the nest guard will become aggressive to ward fish from the bed or "nest" they have established. In many species the female is the nest guard, but in others, the male is the nest guard. She might be trying to prepare her territory to establish a bed. I haven't ever had rams, but it seems like typical spawning behavior. If the aggression becomes dangerous, try rearranging plants/decoration around the tank. That was the only way I could get my Oscars to stop bullying my Electric Blue Jack Dempsey. Largemouth bass are large cichlids and when they spawn in spring, only the females are on beds. They scare the males off once they fertilize their eggs.

5. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

I have a pair that has bred 5 times and although they have eaten the eggs/fry every time for the most part the female guarded the nest and the male guards the area around the nest. The mistake I think I made was not having any dither fish in with them and the male had no one to chase away.