German Blue Ram Can't Open Mouth/eat Help

1. M

Mel796 New Member Member

So the past two days I've noticed my male GBR has been hiding away in the corner of my tank and has been popping out every now and then but stays near the corner. He has also gotten alot skinner, which made me believe he isn't eating. After spending a good amount of time watching him I realised that his mouth doesn't seem to open. I have watched him try eat the food but he just swims into the food and his mouth doesn't open.

Now I know he isn't being bullied or anything from what I can see or know of his temperament, which made me believe that either a change in water parameter's has had this effect on him or he has developed some type of fungus which won't let him open his mouth.

I will be checking my parameters tomorrow and plan on doing a 50% water change just to be on the safe side.

I will also be restocking the tank with new substrate and plants which hopefully might change his surroundings.

Any idea what this can possibly be? I can go buy medication etc if needed, I don't want to lose him! He has paired up with a female and have high hopes for them!

Cheers

EDIT:

It seems like it could be fungus, after taking a closer look by netting him I can see bits floating off his mouth. I have done a 25% water change, increased the water temp and I have added protozin. Any other advice?

2. Rainy day

Rainy day Well Known Member Member

Remove the carbon from your filter if you haven't already and get your water tested asap. Good luck.

3. Lion

Lion Valued Member Member

If it is a mouth fungus/rot, try a bactericide or an generalised anti-bacterial.
    Since Mouth Fungus is not specifically a Protozoan bacteria so Protozin may not have too much avail.
    Try find treatments with elements like Tetracycline, Nitrofurans or Quinolones - known anti-bacterials either inhibiting production of proteins or DNA, needed for the growth of the fungus. Therefore preventing the bacteria from multiplying further.
    But regular clean water via water changes will help in the treatment process.

4. OP
    OP
    M

Mel796 New Member Member

Hi thanks for the info!

I looked at API General Cure however the earliest delivery I can get it in is a month! Should I carry on with Protozoan and hope for the best? Are there any alternatives I could use? Also if I was to start another medication should I use carbon to remove the Protozoan before I start the next course? Any other advice to help until i can fnd medication would be appreciated!

I have seen API Melafix, would that be any good?

5. Lion

Yes try and remove the Protozin before any other medication, you don't want to mix. A large water change should help remove most of the medication also.
    Melafix would be good to use due to its anti-bacterial properties. Myxazin is by the same brand as Protozin I believe Waterlife? Considering where you bought the Protozin, stores usually stock both. Nova+ by Waterlife is also good.
    Aquarium salt bath in additon to medication will be beneficial.

6. OP
    OP
    M

Mel796 New Member Member

Thanks for your help! Yes is is waterlife, unfortunately the LFS I got the medication at is now closed. The Melafix is on its way and I plan on doing a 50% water change before adding in the Melafix.
    I've read up on adding salt and apparently it's used to prevent rather than heal. My tank is potentially infected by the bacteria so I guess there's no harm in adding it. How much would you reccomend? And will it have and other affect on the plants/snails and fish I have in the tank?

7. Lion

I never add salt to the tank, the medication will be going through the system to remove any remaining pathogens. Use as a 'salt bath' or dip. Having a separate container with the tanks water, adding correct dosage usually depending which Aquarium salt you use. Then placing the infected fish/fishes in the bath for a period of time, again time depending on the dosage you use.
    Salt does help treat externally, killing some certain bacterias and helping stimulate the slime coat, replenishing it. Thus, enhancing it's ability to fight the infection.

8. OP
    OP
    M

Mel796 New Member Member

Can't believe I missed your reply! Thanks for the info.What salt do you tend to use? So update: He has gotten worse can't swim properly due to his tail and pelvic fin not opening. One of his pelvic fin seems to have been eaten/rotten away. Not sure what to do at this point. I've been dosing with Melafix as stated on the bottom but have had no luck.

9. Lion

Ah that's unfortunate.
    Use Aquarium salt/Tonic salt, should be in most Aquarium stores and online. Frequent water changes is important, people strive upon saying to ensure they have very clean water for aiding in treatment and recovery. I've personally have had very good success with using Chloramine-T in a bath as an alternative for the salt. Although being a strong anti-bacterial, having the correct dosage is a must.
    Unfortunately, bacterial infections can be very difficult to treat but wishing the little guy gets better.