German Blue Ram Bring Very Mean

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by ElectricBlueCrawfish1, Apr 10, 2019.

1. ElectricBlueCrawfish1Valued MemberMember

Hello fellow fishians! I have had a German blue ram in my 30 gallon fish tank with a gourami for a pretty long time and all of a sudden he has been a complete crab to the rest of my fish in the tank. My heater did back and do last night I put a small one in to get the temperature back up from 74 to 81 and that is about when he started all this. My thoughts are that the sudden change in water temperature is making him want to mate and do he has been doing stuff to the gourami like trying to rub himself on her. That is really all I can think of. Any advice on the topic? I have him in a large net for now till the temperature goes down so that he won't be mean to me gourami any more, she is my life. 1554916658740.jpg

2. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Well the GBR needs the higher temp. Not sure what gouramis need? If he has all of a sudden started being a crab, it probably has something to do with the temp drop. That would be pretty stressful for him. I've never seen a GBR try to mate with another species, but it didn't mean he isn't.....

3. ElectricBlueCrawfish1Valued MemberMember

Hey man, I don't know a lot about them I just happen to have one and he isn't acting like normal so I was just guessing. U think I should leave the temperature at 81 or try and make it go back down?

4. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Ummm I'm not familiar with keeping gouramis, but if it's a dwarf gourami, 80°F is a good compromise imo. I keep my GBRs at 80 and they are ok. Lower temps make them more susceptible to disease and grow slowly.

5. yukondogWell Known MemberMember

I would leave the temp alone at 80, but keep in mind they are cichlids and they can be somewhat aggressive at times. Have you tried rearranging the tank?

6. AquaticJFishlore VIPMember

I think keeping the Ram at 74 had him in a state of low activity, brain function, metabolism, etc, and bringing up the temperature brought out his real demeanor. The fluctuations can definitely cause stress too. I would go no lower than 80 or I would not expect him to live long.

Looking at your pictures here and your other thread, you need more line of sight breaks, meaning more decor so they don’t constantly see each other. Some caves would be good too.

Also, I saw on your thread that your tank is testing at 1ppm of ammonia, which can make fish act abnormal as well.

7. ElectricBlueCrawfish1Valued MemberMember

No I haven't rearranged the tank, I will try and get some more plants or something. I also did a water change and the ammonia went down to like 0.25 so yeah. The heater I put in there is making a weird sound lately so i unplugged it but I will put it back in when I get home. Thanks for the great advice y'all!