German Blue Ram Breeding Tips

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Dr.WilfordBrimley, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Dr.WilfordBrimley

Dr.WilfordBrimley Valued Member Member

Hello everyone!

I recently acquired a pair of german blue rams (well the male I've had for awhile, the female is new). They have already spawned twice (2nd time last night), but there seems to be a problem.

The first set I suppose weren't fertilized (They got some white fungus on them) and I'm worried that these aren't either.

AND This morning my male is acting stressed (darting up and down the aquarium wall). I did a 40% water change (it was their day, anyway) and he's still acting that way. He is also fighting with his mate.

He ate a bit, but not much. The female is still guarding the eggs and she seems like she is trying to comfort him, but he's not having it. This is the first time he has ever done this since she's been around. He used to do it a lot before the mate came along.

Their diet is Hikira Brine Shrimp w/ Spirulina, shelled peas, and Hikari micro cichlid wafers.

Water Conditions:
    ph: 6.6 -6.8
    kH: 4-6 degrees (my water from the tap is like 10 -12. my driftwood is a life saver)
    Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 20ppm
    Temp: 79 -81 degrees

Tank is a 30 gallon tall. Running an undergravel filter w/o carbon with an airpump rated for a 60 gal tank and an Aqueon Quiet Flow 20 w/ carbon changed every 5-7 days. Gravel substrate.

Tanks mates:
    4 neon tetra
    3 cardinal tetra
    More ramshorns and bladder snails than I can count.

Heavy planted (my avatar is about 2 months old or more)
    Java Moss, Purple Cabomba, Temple, Anubias, guppy grass, wisteria

The only thing new to the tank is I started using Excel yesterday. I already use flourish comprehensive. Trying it out before I setup Co2

To the point: How do I know if the eggs are fertilized and could the excel be messing with the fish? The male ram is the only one freaking out. His color is good, but he's acting very strange. :(

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I'm just bumping this up for you. I know many people believe that glutaraldehyde has a long term negative effect on fish. I wouldn't expect it to happen the first time you used it, but if it changes water parameter levels at all it could be effecting your guy. These fish are very sensitive to changes that's why everyone says they need "old water". They actually need rock steady parameters that don't swing. Good luck. I'll see if @AvalancheDave knows if excel changes nitrates or something.
    Hopefully an aquagardener who keeps rams will see this and be able to help. They would be the ones most likely to use flourish and excel.

3. OP
    OP
    Dr.WilfordBrimley

He stopped the erratic behavior and is guarding the eggs, kinda, but mostly just chasing the out of the female. It's stressing her out. I have other tanks, but none close to the same parameters than this one so moving him or her isn't really an option. I literally think he may kill her. :(

Also, I don't think this is the excel's fault. I did some digging and apparently this happens sometimes. The male will want to spawn again right away and the female isn't into it and he bullies her. Most people seem to say the behavior stops in a day or so, but she is hard-headed and he is much bigger than her.

If anyone knows how to tell about the fertilization thing, too, that would be great. I've heard infertile eggs (unfertilized) will cause this behavior. It's my first time keeping rams so advice is much appreciated.

I've kept all sorts of cichlids before, African and South American, but never dwarf cichlids. I love their behavior and personalities (for the most part) and the challenge, for sure! Up until this point they have been fine together (about a month) so I'm very confused on the upset. The tetra know not to go near the ram's love nest (the rams have divided the tank in half, lol).

4. OP
    OP
    Dr.WilfordBrimley

Also my levels seem to be fine. I know how they like their water quality so I changed the carbon and 40% of the water this morning. Tested before and after. Normal. pH out of the tap is 7.6ish, but I use RO to bring it down before adding it to the tank.

Levels in OP ^^

5. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice