German Blue Ram Breeding Journal

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by MaximumRide14, Apr 7, 2019.

1. MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

Hey guys. I'm setting up a ten gallon tank for the purpose of breeding German Blue Rams. I'll be growing the fry and selling them for profit to both local stores and online. I'm hoping that I can use this thread for updates. Right now the tank has no stock but I have some river rocks, clay pots, and a little subwassertang in there. The filter is running and I've used some flakes to keep the beneficial bacteria alive. I've adjusted the heater and I've got a digital thermometer that I've been moving around to see if the temperature is okay at all points in the tank. The temp in the corner away from the heater is about 84.6. It's around 85 when placed next to the heater. I'm hoping to keep the temperature around 84-85 degrees, so I'm not going to change the heater. If you guys have any tips on where I should keep the thermometer (like near the heater or in a corner) please give me some advice. I'm planning on vacuuming the fish flakes on Tuesday night so that the tank is clean when the fish arrive.
    Wish me luck! I'll probably update when the fish arrive (Wednesday or Thursday).

2. AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

Hopefully you have a good source! If you want to breed for profit you’ll almost certainly need RO water and some more tanks. These guys take nearly half a year to really get to nice selling size

3. MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

Thank you! I will definitely be looking into RO water. I have an empty five gallon, but I’m thinking of getting plastic tubs if they’re also efficient. What size tanks would you recommend for the future?

4. MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

5. AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

Ram fry are teeny tiny, even full grown Rams would leave them alone most the time. Problem is I keep those two at a 15 degree temperature difference.

You’ll want a few 10-20 gallons, and some larger adult tanks once they reach that size. Here’s a tour of coralbandits fishroom to give you an idea. Now obviously his breeding is at a whole different level, so you wouldn’t need this much but just as a reference.  

6. MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

Yeah wow that's a lot! Since I'm a teen I'm not looking for too big of a project. I'm thinking about raising as many fry as I can in the 10 gallon with the parents as long as I can. By the time I can tell how many are in one batch, I'll probably get a twenty gallon tub and get a sponge filter for it (I'll seed it while the fry are growing). From what I've read, rams can breed quite quickly, so I'm trying to ensure I won't get overrun while still being able to sell them all. I would need to get rid of one of my 5 gallon betta tanks in order to make room for the tubs, but I don't want to get too ahead of myself.

7. AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

It’s going to take practice and failure to get to where you’re overrun, and usually if the parents raise the fry and don’t eat them, they won’t lay more eggs. Sometimes this will happen, and they’ll actually eat the existing fry. To be blunt, most Rams are terrible parents, and the only reason coralbandit and I become overrun with fry is because we pull the eggs and hatch/raise artificially. You’ll also need to start hatching baby Brine Shrimp when you get fry. There are other options of live foods, but imo live food is the key to healthy fry.

I like your ambition though, I wish I would’ve been into breeding when I was your age. Experience is important, and starting young is a great advantage.

8. MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

Thank you! I'm hoping that after a couple batches I can get the parents to raise them. I'll begin hatching live brine shrimp when there are eggs (if the parents eat them, then I might as well just feed them to the pair). I've got Northfin Fry food, frozen foods (brine shrimp and bloodworms), and I'm looking into egg yolk too.

9. AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

Egg yolks are excellent for protein and fat, but it’s messy

10. MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

Bad news. The seller just contacted me and said that while she was catching them she suspected one has ick. So now they'll be on meds for the next week and she'll repost the listing in two weeks. She'll give me advance notice when she relists though, so I'll just rebuy them when the time comes.
    This is going to bring up more issues. Right now the tank is cycling on flakes that I've been adding to keep the bb on the cartridge alive. I thought this would work temporarily, but now I'm not sure I'll be able to do it for the next two weeks. Would I be able to keep the filter off for a certain amount of time without losing the cycle, and only periodically add the flakes? Or is that too risky and I should just buy more flakes? Eventually, I'll be on a vacation (early June) for two weeks, but I'll be able to have someone stop by to feed my fish. I was thinking of making individual portions of frozen foods, so I'll have to figure that out too.

11. AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

Too be honest, that alarms me. Ich is very uncommon with Rams because of the water temperature. I’ve never had Ich on a Ram. Or any other fish besides a Betta I had when I was new to fish keeping. 99% of the time, Ich is caused by poor practices. That could include improper water temperature (Ram specific), large temperature fluctuations, not quarantining new fish, and last but certainly not least, poor water quality in general. A lot of people confuse ick with lymphocystis, especially with Rams. This is a virus commonly seen in store bought Rams.

Buy pure ammonia from ace hardware.

12. coralbandit Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Jay !
    While it is nice [I admire the honesty] of the seller to notify you ich is very unusual for a ram breeder and a no brainer to cure ?
    I have whatever color rams you want if you don't want to wait .
    I dare say mine will breed for you quickly if it is going to happen .

13. MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

That's what I was thinking too! I figured heat would make it much more difficult for ich to spread. I'll buy pure ammonia if I have to wait.
    @coralbandit Would you happen to have a breeding pair of GBRs? Can you PM me with a price? To be honest I'm definitely worried now that this pair won't be in good health when I get them and might not be a good investment.

14. AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

I got a breeding pair of Electric Blue from coralbandit, they laid eggs within 3 days I believe.   Here they are now

15. MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

Nice! I purchased a pair from coralbandit yesterday, so they’re expected to arrive next week! I’ll be doing a water change tomorrow and the day before the fish arrive to ensure the tank is clean, but besides that I’m all set!

16. AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

You’ll be pleased. His are great.

17. coralbandit Fishlore VIP Member

That's nice seeing parents with fry ! My best EBR pair has a swarm of fry with them 3 days now . A large swarm ! I hoping good things since I just don't want to pull them .
    Yours look to be doing great ! I got some great looking GBR to pick a nice pair here to ensure this turns into a breeding thread !;)

18. coralbandit Fishlore VIP Member

Sponge filter ?
    Do you have an air driven sponge filter ? I keep seeing the first picture and think that filter is not fry friendly even with a sponge over the intake .It may be too strong in the first week or so of fry .
    I usually keep a sponge in the tank all the time and then if I need I can turn off the HOB for the fry .
    They are drawn to the sponge to pick foods and stuff from .

19. Thedudeiam94 Valued Member Member

So cool being able to see what @coralbandit fish room and display tank look like! I’ve seen videos previously but honestly it never gets old. Absolutely amazing!

20. MaximumRide14 Well Known Member Member

I’ve got one in a shrimp tank. However the bioload is quite small in that tank because right now there are only a few young shrimplets. When I get home I can switch the filters (I’ll put the sponge over for the shrimp; it’s not ideal, but I’m willing to do it for this project. Tonight I’ll also be checking my supply of brine shrimp eggs and other materials. I’m hoping of coming up with a way of making the hatching and feeding more efficient than what I’ve done in the past.