German Blue Ram and Kribensis together? Question

1. Trojan Member Member

I have a 12 gallon tank with a GBR. Saw the Kribensis at LFS. Can I keep together? Will they be peaceful or agressive to each other. Also have a Serpea Tetra and a platy. The LFS said it would be peaceful enough and I would work in my tank.

2. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I would say no, but only because of your tank size and current fish. A 12 gallon really isn't big enough IMO. The serpea tetra is a schooling fish. You would be better off getting 5 more of them and your tetra would be a happy little guy/gal.. GBR are a great fish though and I would love to have them except my stinking water is SO hard. Good luck with them.

3. koast519 Initiate Member

i wouldn't unless both fish are very young. my g.ram got kill by my krib..

4. Diggly Well Known Member Member

I would say no again due to space and would agree that more tetras are your best bet and would help the one you have stay happy!

5. Trojan Member Member

Can you have different tetras to form a school or do they all have to be the same type of tetra?

6. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Same types work better together and school, different types dont school as far as I know.

7. Trojan Member Member

Thanks, I added two more Serpea tetras

8. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

That's awesome that you added more. I bet your guy was super happy to have some buddies. Since you have 3 now your really close to having a school of them, which is usually considered 5 or more. Sometimes, when nippy fish, which these tetra's are known to be, aren't kept in big enough schools they tend to pick on each other or other fish. There is no magic number but if you start having aggression issues you could get more to help out.