German Blue Ram Aggression! Help

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by JakeDfish, Aug 16, 2019.

1. JakeDfish

JakeDfishValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    3 years
    I just got two new German blue rams. One male one female plus I have the other two old females. When I first put them in everything was fine but then a few minuets later my old females started bumping and pecking not only the small female but the much bigger male. I took my old ones out when it started getting bad. I have since tried two times to try and add them back in one at a time, and both times they always end up bumping and pecking mostly at my new female. Does anyone know any tricks to stopping them? The new ones are happy and fine at the moment. They do no peck so why are my old ones being so mean?

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +836
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Imaging having your bed all to yourself. Then imaging a bunch of strangers getting into your bed with you. You would not be pleased and neither are the 2 established females.
    Rescape your tank, rehome 2 of the 3 females, get a bigger tank. Those are really about the only options.

3. OP
    OP
    JakeDfish

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    3 years
    Ok I don’t have the option of getting a bigger tank and none of the pet stores around me will accept the old GBR’s I will try re doing the tank then if that doesn’t work I will try selling or donating them somehow. Are there any other options?

4. Cale24

Cale24Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +127
    Experience:
    5 years
    How big is your tank? Try include line of sight breaks/ territories? If you have three females and a male, the dynamics may also vary depending on which female is in spawning mode. The most timid of fish can do a bit of a jekyll and hyde and turn the tables on the aggressor, at least in my experience, if she is willing to breed and entices the male (usually the males are game, such is life). A while back I had one male that routinely bred with two females, and the females would alternate in aggression depending on which was spawning.

5. Joshuaharestad

JoshuaharestadValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +86
    Experience:
    1 year
    Some aggression is normal while they adjust. It just depends on how much and if the fish is in danger. I've had a few fish fight initially but work it out in a few days. In my experience taking them in and out doesn't seem to help. Rescaping probably will. If you remove and reintroduce try it at night. I've heard sometimes having the lights off will help, though I personally haven't had success with it. I've also had to remove the hides from my bichir tank. The hope was that plenty of hides would reduce aggression, but they just all fought over the favorite one. I removed all hides and now there's no fighting. Then again, those are bichir, so different personality. I think normally hides help.

6. OP
    OP
    JakeDfish

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    3 years
    I have a twenty gallon that has amazing filtration and a lot of hiding places. I will add more but I don’t feel like it’s the hiding places when I put them in on the other side of the tank from where my new ones are they swim fine not hiding until they see the other pair then they flare up and swim over pecking on the female and scaring her. These past two fish were also the alphas of the tanks I got them from so I’m sure that hasn’t helped but even between the old ones there was a lot of bumping and pushing until the new ones got here and now the focus has switched and they are both after my new female instead of each other. I am going to take out unneeded plants and decor and redecorate so it has better line of sight hiding places. I really want to try letting it play out and just adding them but if they kill my new female I will lose my only chance to breed them since they are a pair.

7. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,413
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Rams are not a schooling or shoaling fish so it may just be the pair will accept no others ?
    Watch out adding back as even the female of the pair will attack the other female ..Seen it too many times ..
    Odd numbers and harems or multiple pairs rarely work if the tank is not set up specifically for them ..
    Add more hides then total number of rams so it is easy for weakest to hide..
    If fighting still continues you may try removing the alphas and leaving the weaker to claim tank as home?
    I keep my rams in pairs or whole batches mass overstocked like African cichlids..
    In between can be no mans land ?
    Try to get a male for the female?? Pairs work odd numbers don't ..

8. OP
    OP
    JakeDfish

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    3 years
    Ok I will try adding hiding spots and recreating the tank. But it’s not that the pair won’t accept no others it’s that the old fish won’t accept any others. I might try another male if nothing else works it might settle down one of the other females.

9. OP
    OP
    JakeDfish

Ratings:
    +52
    Experience:
    3 years
    I just learned something that might help someone in the future. I have run some informal tests and found that doing two things helped with the aggression. Turning of the lights for the day. I usually leave them on constantly because there is a day and night setting on them. And two feeding less often. When I fed more than twice a day the male would get exited and eat. But after everything was gone he would search the tank and bump the female in search of more food so I thought. But when I added a little more he only wanted to eat more and started to chase the female like she was eating too much. I’m not sure if this is the problem but doing these two things has helped the two new fish settle down and accept each other. As for my old two I am going to return them as they will not cooperate and seem to be having a bad influence on the male. Whenever I put them in there they chase the new ones then shortly after I take them out the male starts to lightly chase and bump the female. It has always stopped but I don’t want it to become a habit for the male.

Become a Fishlore Member