German Blue Ram Aggression Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by DylanM, Aug 7, 2019.

1. DylanM

DylanMWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +253
    Experience:
    2 years
    Yesterday I introduced a trio (1 male, 2 female) of German blue rams to my 20 gallon long tank. They seemed fine for the first few hours, but it has become clear that the male has paired up with one of the female and the other is being bullied. She doesn't have much color and is clearly stressed. She colored up for a few minutes while I was feeding her, until the other girl started to chase her around. I am planning on removing her from the tank and returning her to my local fish store or giving her to a friend if they are interested. Is this the right call?

If it is, would it be preferable to leave the bullied girl in the 20 gallon, or move her to a 5 gallon bucket for a few days until I return/re-home her?

2. Bryangar

BryangarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,505
    Experience:
    2 years
    I’d say it’s the right call. She’ll constantly be stressed out from getting chased. Maybe you can get a breeder net and have her in it until rehomed.

3. Nick72

Nick72Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +296
    Experience:
    Just started
    She will survive a few days of bullying better than the 5g IMO.

But yes you are best off rehoming her in the long run.

Even with a breading pair you may find that the pair fall out later, but a pair is probably your best bet.

4. OP
    OP
    DylanM

Ratings:
    +253
    Experience:
    2 years
    I've heard that rams aren't really monogamous, is it possible that later down the line the bullying would subside and the dynamic could change? What is the risk if I leave them as a pair that they would start fighting later, and I would have to separate them? Would this risk be mitigated by a third?

5. Nick72

Nick72Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +296
    Experience:
    Just started
    Let's bring in experts @coralbandit @AquaticJ

In the meantime my opinion is the third just guarantees constant fighting and harassment.

A breading pair will get on until they don't, and then they will fight.

I'm sure the above will be able to give more informed advice.

6. Minxxy

MinxxyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +423
    They absolutely are monogamous when a "pair" ...the advise coral gave me was one male one female, when I was thinking of 2 females...I would remove her and return her or they will bully her to death unfortunately

7. OP
    OP
    DylanM

Ratings:
    +253
    Experience:
    2 years
    Would it be possible to keep the female in a planted 10 gallon with a plakat betta? I've read that they are likely to be compatible, and my betta is a little spastic, but leaves the shrimp and snails in the tank alone. My largest concern is the small size of the 10 gallon, I'm fully confident that I could keep the water clean, but would she be happy with that much space?

8. coralbandit

coralbanditFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +6,400
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The second female is probably better with the betta as long as you keep temp up 80f+ .
    I have seen rams switch partners but most try to stay together even if not the prettiest pairing .A third ram will mostly be the target or stressor they don't need .
    Congrats on the pair .