Geophagus Stocking And Tank Mates

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by gwtterry, Jul 11, 2019.

1. gwtterryValued MemberMember

May I please get some stocking opinions? This is my first time keeping Geophagus. I have a 110 gallon tank. 60.5" long, 16.5" wide, and 25.5" tall.
    I am considering either Abalios or Red Head Tapajos. I am thinking 6. Does this sound like a good number? I also have access to Winemilleri and Sveni, if those are better options?

As for tank mates:
    *Biotodoma cupido - okay? What number? I read they like groups, but how big of a group and would a group be too much with the Geophagus in my tank? Would something like 3 be better? or skip? Need help here.
    *1 Chocolate Cichlid - been reading this done. ok?
    *1 threadfin acara - read they murder everyone when adults, so figured I could keep one to enjoy, is this ok?
    *What about crenicichla? I seen a video of Geophagus and Crenicichla sp Belly Crawler. Common, but I like them. Would you advise this?
    *I'm not fond of severum, just not doing it for me. Is there anything I am missing that I could be looking at as a choice?

Thank you so much in advance.

2. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

6 is a good number. I wouldn’t add other cichlids personally. They’ll be much more relaxed if they have the tank to themselves cichlid-wise, with a few small non-cichlid tankmates. If you must add cichlids I’d stick with smaller ones than the Geos.

3. gwtterryValued MemberMember

Thank you. I read in a species report that large SA cichlids worked well and Cupidos worked as dithers for them, which is why I was considering those.  . I see a lot of angelfish with them. How do you feel about angelfish?

4. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Angels should actually work well. The tank is plenty tall enough for them to have half a tank each, pretty much.

The reason I wouldn’t add more cichlids at the bottom is that it restricts the space the Geos can use. It’s common practice to stuff different cichlids in together, but in nature they’d all just move apart so they had their own area of space. Then they can behave naturally rather than feeling crowded.

I wouldn’t class cichlids as dithers. Dithers are the fish that stay out in the open all the time, whereas cichlids tend to stay closer to the edges, and will hide up very quickly if they feel the need.

Also the tank isn’t wide enough for any of the bigger cichlids. One of those treading water in the middle of the tank and the Geos won’t be able to get past it without feeling they’re taking a risk... so you’ll then have stressed Geos.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2019
  5. gwtterryValued MemberMember

I hear you on the word "dithers". I was surprised they used that wording, but the article did. I will think on the angels. I've never been a big fan of them, but they do look very nice together with the Geophagus in a tank from what I can see.

6. CCinBamaValued MemberMember

My Electric Blue Acaras get along wonderfully in both my tanks that have different Geos in them (Geo. Bras. in one, and a Red Hump and Jurupari (I know, not technically a geo) in the other. The EB acaras have also done well with Red Head Tapajos. I do have a Sev in each tank, and dithers (giant danios in one, Odessa Barbs in the other). Everyone plays nice. Overall, I have been blessed with two very happy community tank residents!

7. gwtterryValued MemberMember

What size are your tanks?