Geophagus cichlid in a pond?

1. Aquarion Initiate Member

Hi I'm new. I have a 50-70ish gallon pond with 1 sarasa goldfish 1 dojo loach 3 mollies 12 or so blacknose dace fry and 2 ghost shrimp and a lotus with no filtration ( I am working on a diy skippy filter) I've been thinking about various other species I could get like earth eater cichlids which from what Ive read are fairly cold tollerant. Would one work with my setup or would it die?

2. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

I've had these guys before, both jurupari and serinemes. They are very beautiful fish and mine were pretty hardy. They do need sand tho. Because they sift through the sand with their mouths to look for food and if it's anything else they get mouth sores and stress out. Idk if they would do good in a pond tho.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

You are located in Canada yes? I would think they would get too cold, they do like warmer water. Hopefully someone on here can give you some more advice :) goodluck

3. Aquarion Initiate Member

Thanks. I have a 40 gallon tank form my fish when winter comes so they would only be in there 2-3 months tops. Also I do have some sand in there but only about a quarter of an inch.

4. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Ohh ok well that helps a lot. :) do you know your pH of the tank and also of your pond?

5. Aquarion Initiate Member

The ph for both is 7.2. But during rain it goes down slightly.

6. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Ok well that's a good pH I mean you might be able to try it if you get a very healthy one. Which one are you looking into?

7. Aquarion Initiate Member

I'm going to look for Uruguayan species at my lfs as I can special request there

8. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Yea those are my favorite of the geophagus. There are quite a few different ones and they are soo beautiful and majestic. There's just something about them haha. Serinemas are my personal favorite, or the altifrons. I know I spelt both of those wrong haha