Genetics advice if anyone knows

LindaMS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me what the two girls in the attached pic might produce when bred to a full black Indonesian import male, he is totally black from nose to tail. Will all F1s be black?

new-girls.jpg

LindaMS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looks like I am talking to the wall...even if it was a dumb question, a simple sorry can't help or you will get a whole bunch of mutts might at least let me know I am not blacklisted!

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would help if I had a clue, I've never bred guppies though. Hopefully someone comes along who has an idea. Good luck!

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Genetics is a complicated subject, if someone can answer your question I'm sure they will, patience is a virtue

Amglynn05

Reaction score
I've been told by other guppy breeders that males carry the color gene. That being said, knowing that each parent would pass a single chromosome, I don't know how that can be completely true. I, completely guessing, would assume coloring is a codominant trait in fish as it is in humans... But I have been told the males carry this gene. Hopefully someone with more definitive knowledge on the subject will respond! Otherwise, have fun experimenting!!

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would think the offspring would be basically extremely dark versions of the moms. Same patterning, but perhaps less pronounced, with an overall very dark color, no quite black like the father, maybe a hair lighter.

Techno

Valued Member
Reaction score
Idk much about fish genetics but I would guess if it's anything like human genes then the offspring can be anything such as a recessive trait but it's likely you will get all of the dominant color traits as which I'm guessing are the black guppies not really sure if that's how fish genes work or not though but if you do get an oddly colored guppy baby it could just be a recessive color gene

BDpups

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like I am talking to the wall...even if it was a dumb question, a simple sorry can't help or you will get a whole bunch of mutts might at least let me know I am not blacklisted!
That made me smile

But. I can't help at all. But there is one way to find out. Get the guppy love going

LindaMS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks guys!! I was beginning to wonder if my question was so dumb it was only worthy of disdain!

I have been scouring the net and reading everything I can on the guppy genetics. What has been interesting is the conflict and disagreement out there between the genetics experts - quite a surprise, the Russians slating Shaddock's books etc..
I have purchased Noboru Iwasaki's book and hopefully when it arrives it will shed some more light.
Hopefully my black boy will be healthy when he arrives with his girl. My two girls that have been pre-hit are only likely to throw around 50% his babies if mated apparently so it will be interesting.
I do know my cat and other animal genetics very well but this is a whole different ball game, but I do know how to outcross and line breed having done it for twenty years with the Birman.

It seems that the experts cannot even agree on the phenotype let alone the genotype so I can now fully appreciate why no one has answered my question! I may be able to guess that they are both either grass or mosaic, half black is dominant so I am guessing that I will get all bubs that are HB due to the fact that there is probably another modifying gene that makes my male full colour and my girls will probably not have that. All babies will carry the red/yellow/mosaic etc from the girls and if the half brother/sisters are then mated I may get the full expression of either black or the red mosaic etc. That is my theory at this point anyway...but I am sure the guppy will prove to be a much bigger challenge.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom