Genetic diversity amongst guppies

Tate87

Hello all.

I have a bit of a conundrum. The genetic diversity amongst fancy guppies is extraordinarily low in Australia. They've become very fragile. Is it possible to work on a strain that both breeds true and has a reasonable level of genetic diversity so that they don't die without very specific parameters or when they drop their fry?

At the moment I'm working on phase one of my breeding program. I've selected several strains that I'm reasonably sure are not too related. I'm going to let them mix for several generations whilst adding new blood each generation before selecting for specific traits. Will this assist the genetic diversity and hardiness of the species?

Thanks for the help.

TClare

Hello all.

I have a bit of a conundrum. The genetic diversity amongst fancy guppies is extraordinarily low in Australia. They've become very fragile. Is it possible to work on a strain that both breeds true and has a reasonable level of genetic diversity so that they don't die without very specific parameters or when they drop their fry?

At the moment I'm working on phase one of my breeding program. I've selected several strains that I'm reasonably sure are not too related. I'm going to let them mix for several generations whilst adding new blood each generation before selecting for specific traits. Will this assist the genetic diversity and hardiness of the species?

Thanks for the help.
Yes, that should be the best strategy to maximize genetic diversity, and therefore hardiness.

Tate87

Thanks a lot, mate. I'm glad all those years at uni haven't gone to waste lol.

emeraldking

Well, what's also very important, is to select (cull) in each generation. Culling means to separate the ones you dislike or the ones that don't meet up the standard you're looking for. Culling doesn't mean killing those fish. You can put them in a different tank, sell or donate them. Otherwise, the ones with the bad traits will pass on their genes as well.

Tate87

Well, what's also very important, is to select (cull) in each generation. Culling means to separate the ones you dislike or the ones that don't meet up the standard you're looking for. Culling doesn't mean killing those fish. You can put them in a different tank, sell or donate them. Otherwise, the ones with the bad traits will pass on their genes as well.
Oh thank you. I should definitely do that. I have noticed some of the fish I have seem to have some sort of spine deformity or at least are shorter than others despite being full grown. Is there anything in particular I should keep an eye out for?

emeraldking

Is there anything in particular I should keep an eye out for?
Well, just select those guppies that are having or carrying the traits you like best. Or those that have most potential in relation to what you have in mind. Because, what's really beautiful in a guppy? That's so personal. There's no standard beautiful trait. It's always a personal preference of what someone likes in a guppy.

There are show standards, but those have nothing to do wether it's a beautiful guppy or not. For every ornamental fish show needs standards to judge. Otherwise, judging is of no use. For you need a reference to judge.

Aqualover

Good luck!!! Which strain are you working with?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• junebug
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
junebug
Replies
Views
emeraldking
  • Sorg67
  • Guppy
Replies