General tropical fish questions.

Syed

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I bought total 6 fish so far for my 30 gallon tank which used to be a Goldfish tank. I bought a heater and some plants too. However I feel like I should return two of my Gourmis, a kissing gourmI and my Blue gourmi. The Blue one is semI aggressive and has been acting kinda upity to my Bolivian ram cichlid. I thought it may calm down but it hasn't. Also I did some research and found out the Kissing GourmI grows huge (should have checked first)! So I need some opinions. Should I return them and get new fish or not?

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If there are aggression issues and especially in a 30 gallon tank it would be the best suggestion. If the fish have not "found their place in line" at this point the aggression may only get worse.

Kronnn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Did you add the gouramI first or after the cichlid? Maybe you could try taking him out of the tank for a few days to let the other fish get more settled, or if that's not an option then maybe if you rearrange all the decorations and plants. This might work if its a territorial issue, but probably won't work if it just doesn't like that one fish. Hope everything works out ok.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with AquaGirl. Blues are the most aggesive (tho mine is reeeealy shy) Gourami's, and Kissing Gourami's get huge. if you still want Gourami's, you could get a couple of female Dwarves, or Sparlking gourami's.

Syed

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aquagirl1978 said:
If there are aggression issues and especially in a 30 gallon tank it would be the best suggestion. If the fish have not "found their place in line" at this point the aggression may only get worse.
Yeah I figured it may just get worse. The Bolivian cichlid doesn't leave the corner of the tank and if it does and the GourmI meets it, and the GourmI chases it.

Kronnn said:
Did you add the gouramI first or after the cichlid? Maybe you could try taking him out of the tank for a few days to let the other fish get more settled, or if that's not an option then maybe if you rearrange all the decorations and plants. This might work if its a territorial issue, but probably won't work if it just doesn't like that one fish. Hope everything works out ok.
I actually added them the same time. Plus it only goes after the Bolivian, it ignores the blue ram Cichlid, kissing gourmI and the mollies.

Akari_32 said:
I agree with AquaGirl. Blues are the most aggesive (tho mine is reeeealy shy) Gourami's, and Kissing Gourami's get huge. if you still want Gourami's, you could get a couple of female Dwarves, or Sparlking gourami's.
Thanks for the ideas. Guess I'll return them and get a pair of Dwarves.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Syed said:
Yeah I figured it may just get worse. The Bolivian cichlid doesn't leave the corner of the tank and if it does and the GourmI meets it, and the GourmI chases it.

I actually added them the same time. Plus it only goes after the Bolivian, it ignores the blue ram Cichlid, kissing gourmI and the mollies.

Thanks for the ideas. Guess I'll return them and get a pair of Dwarves.
glad to help! I'll be getting a male Dwarf soon, myself; been shopping around to see who has the best looking ones

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oops, a pair of dwarves in a 30 gallon is not a good idea. They will fight. One would be better.

Edit: silly me. I guess you mean a male and a female. I don't think they are that easy to bread so if you are going for show I would get a male and something else.

Aquagirl1978

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
And in a 30 gallon, you could get a sunset gourami, generally small part blue, part orange and believe it or not my golden gouramI ( that's HUGE) gets along with it quite well. My golden rules the tank, then my female betta. All the fish that followed them found their place and all is peaceful. I have a 55 with caves rock formations plants castles and statues which helps greatly. You can try more hiding places but its not a guarantee.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
claudicles said:
Oops, a pair of dwarves in a 30 gallon is not a good idea. They will fight. One would be better.

Edit: silly me. I guess you mean a male and a female. I don't think they are that easy to bread so if you are going for show I would get a male and something else.
well I ment females, but I dunno what he ment lol

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads