General Temperature Range For Tropical Fish

Stephen Hiatt

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The people of fishlore worship temperature like a god. It isn't that important. Just keep it at 75-79 for most fish unless that have an intolerance to that temperature range (not prefer a different temperature, an intolerance).

Discusluv

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stephen Hiatt said:
The people of fishlore worship temperature like a god. It isn't that important. Just keep it at 75-79 for most fish unless that have an intolerance to that temperature range (not prefer a different temperature, an intolerance).
Ludicrous, thanks for the belly laugh.

bopsalot

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Stephen Hiatt said:
Wow. Just....wow. I'm sure you can "tolerate" 100 degrees fahrenheit just fine. Go ahead and set your thermostat to 100 indefinitely. You won't die, I assure you. Who cares what animals "prefer"? Right?

Discusluv

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bopsalot said:
Wow. Just....wow. I'm sure you can "tolerate" 100 degrees farenheit just fine. Go ahead and set your thermostat to 100 indefinitely. You won't die, I assure you. Who cares what animals "prefer"? Right?
Right, huh? The whole "prefer" and "intolerance" discrepancy he makes is ludicrous in itself. Its a purely arbitrary range of temperature ( a range that he claims "most" tropical fish "tolerate") that is based on nothing more than his own preferences. Why I think I might put my discus at 79 degrees, because it is really close to 82 and that three degrees difference is too negligible to worry about.

Kasshan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bopsalot said:
Wow. Just....wow. I'm sure you can "tolerate" 100 degrees farenheit just fine. Go ahead and set your thermostat to 100 indefinitely. You won't die, I assure you. Who cares what animals "prefer"? Right?
Judgemental, exaggerated, and illogical argument. I doubt anything besides a pupfish or other oddball would feel comfy in 100+ temps. The temp variance we are discussing is within normal params from 70 to 85. No need to berate folks.
Also due to Discusluv's advice I changed my temp from 79 to 83 to make thing more ideal. The neons have adapted well to the new temperature despite requiring cooler temps.
I'm not really sure where the fuss is coming from in this particular post and I'm having trouble figuring out people's stances...

Discusluv

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kasshan said:
Judgemental, exaggerated, and illogical argument. I doubt anything besides a pupfish or other oddball would feel comfy in 100+ temps. The temp variance we are discussing is within normal params from 70 to 85. No need to berate folks.
Oh, really... we had the same conversation about discus temperature- you raised it the three degrees.

Kasshan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Discusluv said:
Oh, really... we had the same conversation about discus temperature- you raised it the three degrees.
I know... I it changed cuz of your suggestion, but not before another few days worth of contrasting and comparing anecdoctal evidence from other forums.

James17

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd like to know how close is close enough, I mean, is 78 close enough to 82, or is 72 close enough to 76 seems close but is it?

Kasshan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think the scale is more logarithmic rather than linear for ideal temps

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Temperature is an important facet of fishkeeping. If you don't care about fish living to their full lifespan, then I suppose you won't have to worry about it, but that would be your choice.
72 is not close enough to 76 nor 78 to 82. I would only do maybe one degree of separation, but it really doesn't make any sense to do that. It's not that hard to keep temperature levels steady.

Discusluv

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
James17 said:
I'd like to know how close is close enough, I mean, is 78 close enough to 82, or is 72 close enough to 76 seems close but is it?
That's the thing, it is species specific. You cannot make a blanket statement that most fish will tolerate 75- 79 degrees (with a few "intolerant" exceptions) and it be a reasoned assertion. That type of generalization, and a berating comment such as Fish Lore's 'worship" of temperature ( berating begets berating, Kassan) is based on shoddy evidence. Yea, put my discus three degrees down from 82 at 79 and he will become prone to parasites and bacteria. Some fish will be able to "tolerate" it, but "most", I doubt it.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, a lot of fish will be fine between 75-79, but saying that most fish should be kept there is simply not true. A lower or higher temperature will mess with the fish's proper metabolism.

bopsalot

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anders247 said:
Yes, a lot of fish will be fine between 75-79, but saying that most fish should be kept there is simply not true. A lower or higher temperature will mess with the fish's proper metabolism.
Precisely. Furthermore, there is mounting scientific evidence that fish are fully conscious and aware. They are equipped with the same types of pain neuron fibers that we have, respond adversely to painful stimuli, and such behaviors are reversed with morphine. They can also sense temperature. It is reasonable to think they might be "uncomfortable" outside of their normal distribution temperatures in nature. That was my point.

Fish are highly evolved animals that are far more sophisticated than most people give them credit for. Sorry if I offended anyone who has posted here. I think I was a little harsh earlier. I was over-reacting to a blanket statement that sounded innaccurate at best, and potentially inhumane at the worst. Hijack over. My apologies to the OP. I try hard not to engage in this kind of thing.

New Threads