General questions about types of fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TaDah, Jul 20, 2015.

1. TaDah

TaDahValued MemberMember

I have a lot of questions about fish most of the time. I would feel bad posting fish questions on someone else's thread xD so this is a thread I will have for myself (and others if they would like) about fishies :)

My first question would be.. can you put Discus in an 55 gal tank with 4 tiger barbs and a red tail shark? If i have 2 other tiger barbs in a different tank can I introduce them to my big tank?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2015
  2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

I personally wouldn't put tigers in with discus, or put a red tail shark in with discus, imo. Especially not in such low numbers of tiger barbs, which need a school of at least six but the more the merrier.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Discus do better in a species only tank as they are very sensitive to their environment.

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I would not do tiger barbs and RTS with a discus, they would be too aggressive for the passive nature of the discus.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore! :)
    I agree with the others. If you want discus, you can have up to 6 discus in the 55 Gallon, the discus only and no other fish. Tiger barbs are aggressive and will probably Nip at the discus.

6. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Oh yes, welcome to Fish Lore too haha!!! Lol, I'm so forgetful.......

7. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

55 is too small for discus.

8. AquaticBrandon

No it's not, it's the minimum for up to 6 discus

9. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

I would like to see a 55 with 6 grown discus in it.

10. OP
    OP
    TaDah

TaDahValued MemberMember

My tigers get harassed by my RTS.

Would I be able to bring my 2 barbs from my other tank to the tank with my 4 barbs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

In your 55 gal? Yes

12. AquaticBrandon

13. OP
    OP
    TaDah

TaDahValued MemberMember

Yes. I have 2 barbs in a smaller tank. Since I have 4 barbs in my big tank I just wanted to make sure I could bring them together. What would be the best way to move them from one tank to the next?

14. OP
    OP
    TaDah

TaDahValued MemberMember

And are pictus catfish generally known as being an escape artist? I just found mine dried up on the floor :( this has never happened before :( I added a pleco last night and I guess he didn't like him :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

15. MtnTigerWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore! Got to say that I've never had a tank without a hood or lid.

Sorry to hear of your loss. I've not know young plecos to be aggressive but my experience is with BN's. Sometimes activity outside a tank can startle a fish and cause them to take a "leap of death".

16. OP
    OP
    TaDah

TaDahValued MemberMember

My tank has a hood haha just not by the pump. It's weird. First time he's done that :( I have never had a BN.

17. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

... in your opinion. In mine a 12" wide tank is tiny for a 6"+ fish. You can do it in one, but not well...

:)

18. AquaticBrandon

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice