General Questions About Angelfish Preferences

Discussion in 'Angelfish' started by stiglitz, Aug 7, 2015.

1. stiglitz

stiglitzWell Known MemberMember

Hey guys! I'm currently stocking my 55 gallon and I have a few questions specifically about Angelfish.

1. The tank is in an area of the house where people will walk by it everyday and very frequently, at least every 30 minutes. Do Angel's scare easily? Would they not like this much activity in front of the tank?

2. I currently have a powerhead to provide current in the water for the schooling fish. I've heard that Angelfish don't like too much of a current. Should I remove it? It's at the bottom of the tank if that's relevant.

3. I'm planning on keeping 4 juveniles (just a bit bigger than the size of a U.S. quarter): will they have trouble finding food in such a big tank? And is 4 enough to cause at least one pair to form in the future?

Thanks!

2. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

1.It depends on the activity. If people are running, stomping and making sudden moves toward the tank there will be a problem.

2. I have strong water flow in all my thanks. The angels never seemed bothered by it. But if you see them hanging on the the decor to keep from being blown around the tank you may want to turn it down a bit.

3. When I was breeding angels I would start with at least six and let them pair off. With just four you run the risk of having all of the same sex. Keep in mind that females often will pair up and spawn. My last three pairs were all females.

3. OP
    OP
    stiglitz

No one really will be stomping, they will just be passing by the tank very often, in a fast paced walking speed. Will this cause them to be reclusive? I want them to be boisterous and confident

4. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

A little tip: The more hiding places you have, the more often your fish will be out and about (unless they are predator fish, then they're not hiding in general).

So even in a high traffic area, if your tank is well-planned, the fish will feel secure. Most fish grow accustomed to their humans and will eventually spend most of their time up at the front of the glass, begging for food, whenever they see people nearby.

5. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

I pass my angel tank a lot during the day & at mealtimes as it's by the dining table & my angels come to greet me every time, they're not a bit fazed though a bit miffed they don't get fed every time they see me :)

6. Tolak

TolakWell Known MemberMember

If the angels come from a shop they've had activity flying past them all day due to being in a retail environment. If they come from a breeder folks walk by with hoses & buckets & such, sticking contraptions in tanks, moving gear around a few times daily. Most likely they're already used to this activity.

The powerhead shouldn't bother them at all, in a 55 you'd need something like a good size pond pump to really have any effect. I hose tap water into my angel tanks full tilt, often they'll come to play in that flow, so much for angels not liking water flow!

With 4 angels you'll have an 87.5% chance of having a pair. Full grown angels need 10 gallons per fish, potential breeders 5 gallons per fish. As mentioned, 6 angels will bring up those percentages, I use 55's for pairing, often stocking with 10-15 potential breeders when I have the proper fish available for what I'm trying to accomplish. On that, what are you trying to accomplish? Are you looking for a pair as a centerpiece for this tank, future angel breeding ambitions, or something else?

7. OP
    OP
    stiglitz

Thanks for your response. I am hoping to form a pair to create a center piece pair for my tank, I'm not really looking for them to breed like crazy nor am i planning on raising the fry

8. Tolak

TolakWell Known MemberMember

Talk to a decent local shop, tell them you're looking to buy a group of angels hoping for your centerpiece pair, and will be returning some larger angels in the future. Most shops are cool with this, and will give you cash or store credit for their products, you'll always need food & water conditioner. You'll at least break even if not make a bit of a profit on that deal. As mentioned, the more angels the better your chances of a pair, 6+ is the way to go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice