General Question - My Minnows

1. Merryn O'Shea

Merryn O'Shea Valued Member Member

Yes, hello. It's me again. Basically one of my White Cloud Minnows is itching itself against my driftwood and plants etc. I know that this can lead to Ich or any other fish disease, however beforehand my Danios and Fantails would itch themselves on anything they could and they never developed any disease. This itching motion happens every now and then, however I only take a close look at them at morning and night so they could be doing it more and more. Anyway for these guys I tried different treatments. At first I tried aquarium salt, then I tried an anti parasite treatment as it said to use it if this flashing occurred, and the same went on for another treatment I used (I believe this was for White Spot as my other Minnows had it at the time, however in this period no fish flashed).
    Has anyone had/is having this problem? Can anybody give me advice? Recommendations? I did a water change this morning and I noticed the flashing just before I got into bed. Last week I added two Tiger Snails to help with the algae growth.

Thank you! I appreciate your responses!

2. Jason Watkins

Jason Watkins Valued Member Member

Have you noticed anything visibly out of the ordinary about their appearance? I recently had to use cupramine to treat an unidentified parasitic infection on a bluegill of mine. It's lethal to inverts and you have to do copper tests while using it but it annihilated the parasites.

Also, what are your water parameters looking like?

3. OP
    OP
    Merryn O'Shea

I noticed that the tips of their fins are getting whiter everyday, but on my other post about that issue everyone said that it was normal. Other than that I haven't noticed anything else. My water parameters are fine now, but a few days ago my ammonia was 0.25ppm. Do I just record the parameters and hope for the best?

4. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

Sometimes they can have a small irritation they need to scratch. Sure, it can be the start of Ich burrowing in, but I have had a young rainbow here for 2 years that has an itchy gill. It's just her.

You watch and look for the signs of Ich (worth looking up if you haven't encountered that parasite). It may never be a problem.

5. OP
    OP
    Merryn O'Shea

Thank you! Hopefully it's just him/her :)

6. Jason Watkins

Jason Watkins Valued Member Member

I'm hoping you meant 0.025 ppm. 0.25 ppm of ammonia is in the toxic range. If that is correct I would recommend an immediate water change and some fresh activated carbon and zeolite if you can get ahold of it.

7. OP
    OP
    Merryn O'Shea

I have APIs ammonia test kit. It goes 0ppm, 0.25ppm, 0.50ppm etc. I do an immediate water change whenever it is above 0ppm anyway.