Help General Purpose Sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashEHC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've been looking all over for pool filter sand around the dc/va area and have only found one place that sells it for $20/50 lbs. It costs a lot more than what people on this site have been listing, so I came across a Home Depot that has general purpose "washed" sand for $4/60 lbs. I asked the guy if it has any additives in it, but he was pretty vague. It's a little more coarse than play sand.

Has anyone gotten any luck with general purpose sand? Where on the bag can I find to see if there are additives? What else should I look for?

Thanks again,

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It should list on the bag if there are any additives. Check out the grains of sand to see if their sharp or not. If it's sharp and not rounded it may scratch/cut your fish. Even though it says washed it still has to be washed and is a real pain to get clean.
That is really expensive for pool filter sand. I imagine it is different priced in different areas. Is it that price at all the pool stores?
Carol

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You couldn't find pool filter sand at Home Depot? I'm in Richmond and I've seen it at multiple HDs around here. It was out in the nursery sections but not by the pool supplies.

Probably the best way to find out what's in the sand is to call the manufacturer.

-Lisa

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's the sand that I use. Is a little coarse but is great. I rinse it anyway.

crashEHC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, I called all of the Home Depots in the area and none of the them had pfs. They said they didn't carry pool supplies, so maybe they didn't know it was in the nursery section? Anyway, I called around some more and a place in Rockville, MD is selling pfs for $11/50 lbs. It's a 45 min commute, but it's the safe play. Thanks everyone.

Huicho

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Crash - I bought mine at Leslies. You mention you live in the VA/DC area so I looked up if they have any around there. I hope this link helps:

Edit: Also, I want to add that paying this cheap of a price comes with its own costs. It took me well over 2 hours to clean the 50lb bag of sand and still had a tad bit of cloudy-ness. However, it did clear after 2 days. If you do not clean this sand, you will regret it. Trust me

P.S. I love my PFS. It works wonders and is WAY cheaper than the Ecocomplete stuff.

Last edited:

crashEHC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, I looked them up, but unfortunately I'm nowhere near Vienna. It was actually quicker for me to go through DC and into MD. Thanks for the info though.

Edit: Actually, Leslie had a place near where I was going and it was only $10/50 lbs. So thanks, you saved me $2 bucks.

100 lbs should be enough for a 55 gallon, right?

Last edited:

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Definitely. I used 50 in my 37g but mostly because I couldn't stand to have a near-empty bag sitting around for no reason.

-Lisa

Huicho

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah, I looked them up, but unfortunately I'm nowhere near Vienna. It was actually quicker for me to go through DC and into MD. Thanks for the info though.

Edit: Actually, Leslie had a place near where I was going and it was only $10/50 lbs. So thanks, you saved me $2 bucks.

100 lbs should be enough for a 55 gallon, right?
Crash - I have a 55 gallon and found that one bag was quite enough. Too bad I don't have a pic for you to see but i found it to be plenty. Even if you think one bag wont be enough, you definitely won't use both. So you'll have excess sand..

Let me know how it goes...

Last edited:

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The home depot "washed" play sand was terrible....i used it to fill in a pothole in the back alley.

crashEHC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I ended up only buying 1 bag and it was enough. Thanks everyone; you saved me about $30. I'll post pics in the aquascaping sub-forum shortly. It's a new tank, so I'd like some ideas on how to complete the project.

Thanks again,

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I saw pool filter sand at home depot today for around 3 dollars /50lb bag. They have it in white and that yellowish color. I prefer the 3m colorquartz over any other sand personally, but it can cost a lot more and be hard to find nowadays.

navyscuba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I saw pool filter sand at home depot today for around 3 dollars /50lb bag. They have it in white and that yellowish color. I prefer the 3m colorquartz over any other sand personally, but it can cost a lot more and be hard to find nowadays.
Yes you can't find it because is discontinued since Dec last year but their roofing sand is the same product as the quartz. It comes in less color variety tho.

The quartz you can find it at
http://www.estesco.com/aqua.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom