General molly questions

Discussion in 'Molly' started by Tigerfishy, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Over time I have had 5 mollies. Out of my first 4 (months ago), 3 died randomly, and the 4th got stuck behind some filter media I was storing at the time in the tank.

I lost my 5th molly during the night (got him a while after my first mollies died). My first question is, are they generally not very hardy or did I just get unlucky? My water has always been 0, 0, 10 since before I even got them. They came from a freshwater environment, so I kept them freshwater at home. My black molly had fry, I saved 5, all died but my guppy fry are growing strong, have been living in the same conditions the whole time as well!

My second question. When my silver molly died, I noticed that he got 4 dark lines going vertically up his side. Whe I took my orange molly out this mornign, he had 4 red lines up his side too. What is this, and why would it happen? Silver molly had all his lines just before he died, and the orange one had one before he died, but the other 3 appeared after.

I just want to get to the bottom of it really. I don't think I'll be getting mollies again, but I like to know what happened to learn!

2. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Well if it is your 60l tank then that was probably way to small for them. And from the way you have it now, which is a little over stocked, I'm guessing it was just stress and the lines may have been on the fish but when the fish stresses out then it loses its coloring. I'm guessing this is just from it losing it's coloring and then after it died you finally get to see its true color.

But mollys are VERY hardy fish and and really easy to take care of. Since you added four all at once in a 15gal tank I'm guessing you threw it in a mini cycle and then since all died pretty quickly.

3. OP
    OP
    Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

I wondered about stress, but I have never seen any mollies with lines anywhere (well with the types I had anyway).
    The water parameters were always fine when I had them, this is why it was a mystery to me!
    Then I got just one at a time when the tank was practically empty (its the way it is now due to circumstances which is why I addded another filter!) and even he couldn't do anything :(

4. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I have very little luck with mollies and platys. I'd try them from a hobbiest and see if you have better luck. Just my opinion, but I hope this helps.:p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice