General Lack of Knowledge About Fishkeeping

1. THUNDER FISHERMAN Initiate Member

Hello everyone! I'm new to the fishkeeping hobby and have plenty more to learn, but it shocks me how wrong "popular" methods of fishkeeping are. For example, the idea that bettas can be kept in small bowls and vases. It just seems like out of all the pets available, fish have the most misconceptions and misinformation associated with them. The large chain stores seem to be behind the times when it comes to proper care of fish. I know that there are complex cycles involved within the aquarium that make it more challenging then owning other types of pets, yet the cycling doesn't seem too complicated. Anyway I guess my question is how did all this misinformation come about in the hobby, and how is it so easily perpetuated within fishkeeping? Sorry for having a mini rant, I'm just interested in your opinions! Thanks in advance!

2. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

People put them in bowls cause it's much easier for them to mentain and keep

3. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

The bettas in bowls myth comes from the assumption that bettas live in mud puddles and oxen footprints in the wild, this isn't true. They come from rice patties and drainage ditches, each male having a 3x3 foot are to themselves. The reason pet stores are encouraging the bowls is because it makes them money. If a fish dies they make more money when someone buys a new one.

4. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

This isn't true. The larger the container, the easier it is to keep.

People used to keep fish in bowls before we knew what we now know about them. Unfortunately some fish used to survive this cruelty, even for quite a long time (the worlds oldest recorded goldfish, for example, spent most of its life in a bowl). A lot of people have the misguided view that if it survived then there can't have been anything wrong with the way it was kept...

5. Brisilda Kodra Well Known Member Member

But that's why others keep them in bowls I know I kept mine in one

6. THUNDER FISHERMAN Initiate Member

Yeah I could see how they would just be concerned with their bottom line. It just seems like if it was any other type of pet they were misinforming people about there would be outrage from customers. It's just interesting how pretty much no one (outside of the forums) knows what the nitrogen cycle is in regards to setting up an aquarium. The pet stores would be in serious trouble if they gave out information that would harm someone's dog or cat.

7. THUNDER FISHERMAN Initiate Member

I get the appeal of having a small area to hold your fish, but I think this is where the what's easy for the owner/what's best for the fish choice must be made.

8. Skyy2112 Member Member

Imo, the smaller the fish, the smaller the bowl, the better they fill it. People assume there is no needed maintenance, thus your fish will live with food, and never need new water.