General Kribensis Breeding Questions

Atomsk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have currently purchased a 55 Gallon aquarium and I would like to start breeding Kribensis cichlids. I have a few questions that I need assistance with.

1) Approximately how many pairs of Kribensis cichlids do you think I can safely house within the 55 Gallon aquarium?

2) Do Kribensis cichlids prefer rocky or planted aquaria or a mixture of both? Any particular aquatic plant species they are fond of?

3) Do Kribensis cichlids need any special accommodations to encourage them to breed?

4) Will the parents eat their own offspring? Will the other Kribensis eat the Kribensis fry?

5) What do Kribensis fry eat? When should the Kribensis fry make the to transition eating adult Kribensis cichlid food?

6) Can other fish live with the Kribensis cichlids? If so what species? Can Mystery snails live with Kribensis cichlids? Will the Mystery snails eat Kribensis eggs?

I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to read my questions and even if you don't know all of what I have asked, every bit of knowledge you add will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Kribs are in a 30g long by them selves and they patrol the whole tank. there was an angel in with them and they were just really rough with the angel so I moved it.
1) I personally wouldn't house more than one pair in a tank.
2) I have terra cotta pots and a ceramic cave in their tank and they lay in the cave and then move them to a pot when they hatch. I imagine any kind of cave would work for the,.
3) Good food(thawed frozen blood worms, thawed frozed brine shrimp etc) Clean water will encourage spawning.
4) Mine have been excellent parents and I've not observed them eating their fry although others here have had that problem.
5) I feed my Krib fry golden pearls that I buy at . It is a dried rotifer that when mixed with water makes an excellent food for tiny fry. At a week I change to decapsulated brine shrimp that I buy at the same place. At two-three weeks I start feeding crushed Omega One color flakes. At four weeks they are eating flake and thawed frozen brine shrimp.
I have mystery snails in both the fry grow out tank and the adult tank.

The parents of my 4 week old krib fry have three day old freeswimmers
Carol

Atomsk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you both with sharing your knowledge with me. I will take great note in what y'all both had to say.

kwesdog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I agree with Carol.

Buy a bunch of caves and keep your water clean and they will spawn.

Two things I would add though with regard to getting them ready to spawn. I would swap out the feeding of bloodworms and use BBS or cyclops in combination with spirulina ****. You can even throw in a quality earthworm pellet or flake and you will have very happy prolific spawning kribs.

On another note I have never been able to keep multiple pairs in the same tank once they have matured. Once a dominate male matures he will chase and kill the other kribs (except the paired female). This is my experiance anyways. This has been in a 55 with ample hiding spots.

Harry

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom