General Cory-pleco Coexisting Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by corydorainthehouse, Aug 18, 2019.

1. corydorainthehouse

corydorainthehouseNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Heyo Guys,

Thanks for the help on my previous threads!
    Right now I have a 15 gallon tank with one threestripe cory and around 7 adult BN plecos and 10 newborn BN plecos. In november I will get a 32 gallon tank in order to give them more space and add 4-5 threestripe corys to make my only cory who has been quite lethargic for a few years finally happy again. There is a few things that worry me though:
    1. My lonely cory seems to spend most of his time in the small shade of my pump. There is a huge log in the center of the aquarium but I assume that he doesn't like to go there as it's the plecos' home and I assume they are quite territorial with it. Sometimes a young BN pleco will gently push my cory out of the shade though to take his spot. So my two questions for my next aquarium which will replace the current one are should I get some lights that are less strong and should I give some of the BN plecos away? I don't want them to breed any further and to be frank although it is completely natural, it annoys me that my cory is constantly being shoved in the corner of the aquarium.

2. What kind of substrate should I get for my new aquarium? Sand? small pebbles (current substrate)? or something else?

3. There is a ton of duckweed constantly growing on the surface of the water, should I get rid of it?

TIA for the help!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. MissNoodle

MissNoodleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +797
    Sand is best for cories.

Though, a single cory isnt ideal. He should be in a group of 6+ to feel more confident and safe. Otherwise they mix well with other fish just fine, even plecos. But he really should have a school.

Also, adding more shady plants is great. Rhe duckweed offers nice top cover, but its up to you should you keep it or not

3. OP
    OP
    corydorainthehouse

Ratings:
    +9
    I mean threestripe corys not threestripe plecos! those don't exist, sorry for the mistake haha. Also, thanks for the advice!

4. Fishcat

FishcatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +943
    I would very much like to see a picture of your tank.
    Rehoming a few of the plecos would be a good idea. That would give everyone more room in their new tank.

5. OP
    OP
    corydorainthehouse

Ratings:
    +9
    Tank 1

here are some pics, the first ones are low quality as I had to stay at a certain distance for them not to scurry off inside and behind the log . There is another vase behind the log. There is literally no newborn in the pics since they are too small and hide randomly.

6. Benfreshwater

BenfreshwaterValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +148
    Experience:
    Just started
    Sand is best for Cory's and Plecos to sift through. What size tank will your new one be? I would definitely recommend rehoming some of the Plecos if not all but one per tank left in the end, I would up the number of Cory's in your tank to 6 then they'll come out more. My bandit Cory's are very active together in there group and even spend time with the albino rainbow shark while he's on the bottom feeding

7. OP
    OP
    corydorainthehouse

Ratings:
    +9
    81x36x50cm if i take the 125 L one, 101x41x50cm if 180L, but that will depend on my parents.
    Only keeping one pleco was definitely something I considered but won't it feel very lonely if all of the others just disappeared?

8. Benfreshwater

Ratings:
    +148
    Experience:
    Just started
    I think the single Plecos in either tank will appreciate the space they have more when they grow to maturity size. There quite lonely creatures anyway they just like there own company usually and won't have to compete for food. Then you could get a school of Cory's in both tanks as well. Gives you more variety as you could get a different type of Cory's for your other tank...

9. OP
    OP
    corydorainthehouse

Ratings:
    +9
    Awesome, thank you very much for the help! I think I will keep the smaller tank as a quarantine in case my fish get sick instead of keeping fish in both. So I will stick with one BN pleco and a school of threestripe corys

10. Benfreshwater

Ratings:
    +148
    Experience:
    Just started
    I think that's a very good Idea, the best thing to do for your fish. Besides if you take the Plecos to your LFS they might give you store credit in return for them which will help you stock your new tank...

11. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,130
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Plecos arent really shoaling fish, so one is more than enough. If you do want to breed them, then keeping a pair.

The tank will probably be easier to maintain, as plecos tend to have an extremely high bioload.

Become a Fishlore Member