Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

General Aquarium Advice Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by mgillett88, Apr 26, 2019.

1. mgillett88Valued MemberMember

Hi all.

I’m after some general advice as we are fairly new to an aquarium. Have lots of different questions about certain fish and snail behaviour etc.

Regards

Mike

2. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

What fish are you wondering about? Also how much do you know about fishkeeping, and (if you have any), how many aquariums do you have?

P.S. Welcome to fishlore :)

3. EvanGValued MemberMember

4. mgillett88Valued MemberMember

Thank you for the welcome. They only questions I have at the moment are about cory’s and Red spotted snails. I have had a few responses from a separate post about a recent acquisition of a Cory. (Was the last one, more arriving Monday).
    About the snails, we have 4 red spotted snails. They were up until a few days ago active in the tank, getting around the tank bottom, plant pots etc. But last couple of days they’ve all been out the water on there moving around the glass, I’m assuming eating algae. Three are by the filter, which I read is usual behaviour for some.
    This is our first aquarium, but we have a bigger one arriving early next week to set up as a live plant aquarium. Any advice on setting that up aswell would be appreciated.

Thank you.

5. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

How big is your current aquarium and how big is the one that is coming?

6. mgillett88Valued MemberMember

This one is 40 litre. New one is 80 litre.

7. CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Alright. Let me get back to you in a little bit :)

8. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

9. mgillett88Valued MemberMember

Last time we checked ammonia (last week) it was 0 ppm, nitrate 0ppm and nitrite 0.5ppm. That’s from a test strip. I’ll pop out tomorrow and pick up a water test set and test again.

10. buttertartValued MemberMember

Hi! I didnt catch if you have fish in the tank right now but dont get more. When you get a fish tank and the fish poop it creates ammonia which is in the water and is bad for the fish. After a while natural bacteria develop and are able to take that ammonia and convert it into a chemical called nitrite, also toxic. In another week or two the nitrite eating bacteria grow and convert it into nitrate. The nitrate isnt really bad for your fish in low concentrations and gets taken out with routine water changes. The nitrate is good food for plants and you dont need to do water changes as often if you have plants in the tank. My reason for saying hopefully you dont really have fish in the tank is while the tank “cycles” (getting the bacteria cycle grown and running) its hard on the fish and snails. If I were you I would do like a 15% water change every day or two so its easier on them. The bacteria will eventually make the water nice and livable for them but until then just try to test often and keep the levels low. For the plant tank if you can just put in a pinch of fish food every once in a while. Since it will go uneaten it will create ammonia and you’ll get the cycle started. When it reaches the end and is nitrate the plants eat that as food. You’ll also want a fertilizer. I put in a capful of Flourish Excel once a week and my plants are doing great now. I used to buy plants and they’d slowly turn brown and die because the nitrate wasnt enough to make them thrive but now theyre growing. The original plants are dying but from the roots new little ones are growing. If plants in yoir plnt tank look like they are dying I wouldnt take them out right away incase new ones want to grow from the roots. Good luck cycling if you have fish in the tank, If you dont yet maybe just put the snails in a big bowl with a little fish food and celery and make ammonia in the tank with fish food. Just keep monitoring the levels and once the amonia goes to zero and then the nitrite goes to zero, your ready to slowly add fish. Dont add a ton at once because the natural bacteria is only strong enough to convert the amount of ammonia being produced. If you add a ton more ammonia the bacteria cant process it all and your fish wont be happy. Sorry if you already knew this or it is confusing. A really good product for neutralizing nitrite and ammonia is Prime. A product to help your natural bacteria get set up quickly is Stability.

11. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

12. mgillett88Valued MemberMember

Thanks for your reply. Was good information. We do have live plants in the tank at the moment. We trimmed them a couple of days ago and there growing well. (Nearly at surface again). We did have three but one didn’t really pick up. But because the other two were doing really well we think that was down to not getting enough light.
    When we get new tank we will do as you said about the food, that’s a good tip right there.

Cheers

13. CCinBamaValued MemberMember

I’ve had a zillion questions as well. I put the basic question into the search bar and have always found plenty of answers and other advice I didn’t even know to ask about . This forum is amazing!

14. mgillett88Valued MemberMember

Yeah the search bar is pretty good. Just a newbie. Lol.