General and Carbonate Hardness, Safe ranges Question

1. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Hi i was just wondering what is a safe range for general and carbonate hardness? I have mollies and guppies and 1 cory cat in a 30 gal. The carbonate hardness is showing around 80. The general hardness is showing 60. Is this ok? I dont really understand all about the GH and KH. Could you explain in simple terms? I have read some about it but dont understand it. Also what would the GH and KH need to be in a blood parrot tank? Thank you and have a nice day!

2. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Carbonate hardness is a measure of calcium in your water (essentially) and general hardness measures calcium and everything else in your water.

I suggest you read this post i made, since you are looking to learn about these values:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/ph/113548-understanding-ph-kh-gh-home-aqauriums.html

As for your readings. I dont know what test kit you've got but usually general hardness is carbonate hardness plus the rest. So how your GH is 60 and your KH is 80 doesnt make sense to me. However, these values will be fine for your stock.

Most fish we keep in aquariums, besides a few species, have an ability to adapt to most hardnesses. It is said that KH should be a minimum of 4 dKH, which yours is at 4.47... you are fine at those readings.

3. fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Thank you iZaO Jnr, I really appreciate you answering my email. I just used atest strip that you dip into tank by API. I know, i know they are NOT accurate. I have the liquid API but it doesn't have the gh and kh.! Wow , thats alot of info about hardness of water! I read it all and understand somewhat better but it is still a little confusing! lol Anyways thank you so much!

4. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Glad to help.

I know it is a lot of info, but in the long run it really helps you understand your tank better as a whole.

If you have any other questions dont be afraid to ask. :)