Genders Of Guppies?

elding14

Hello all! I have two guppies and a small school of tetras in a tank that’s been running with fish for around a month now and I haven’t been able to figure out the sexes of the guppies. Can anyone here tell or give me any tips on how to see which is which! Thanks!

abarb

I think they are both male

Platylover

Yes, both are males. Females have a fan shaped analfin and males have a gonopodium. If you look up the differences between the two there’s plenty of diagrams and photos.

elding14

Platylover said:
Yes, both are males. Females have a fan shaped analfin and males have a gonopodium. If you look up the differences between the two there’s plenty of diagrams and photos.
Thank you so much!

Platylover

elding14 said:
Thank you so much!
No problem! Glad I could be of some assistance.

emeraldking

elding14 said:
Hello all! I have two guppies and a small school of tetras in a tank that’s been running with fish for around a month now and I haven’t been able to figure out the sexes of the guppies. Can anyone here tell or give me any tips on how to see which is which! Thanks!

J_Aquatics

elding14 said:
Unfortunately you have two males, this would be fine if you just want them for the looks, but considering you asked what sex they are I'm thinking you want to breed. So, in order to tell the difference, the males have a stick as an analfin and females have a round analfin.

elding14

J_Aquatics said:
Unfortunately you have two males, this would be fine if you just want them for the looks, but considering you asked what sex they are I'm thinking you want to breed. So, in order to tell the difference, the males have a stick as an analfin and females have a round analfin.
Thank you! I’m planning on getting a few females and introducing them in so it shouldn’t be too big of a problem.

J_Aquatics

elding14 said:
Thank you! I’m planning on getting a few females and introducing them in so it shouldn’t be too big of a problem.
Great idea! This will reduce aggression and give you a lot of fry in no time! But, as I said, they WILL give you A LOT of fry, so make sure you have a plan for the fry, as they can be born every month with crazy numbers up to the hundreds.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom