Gender of my betta fish

1. m

mnmoon001 New Member Member

I am just wondering if my betta fish is a male or female. The cup at the store said male but he is so small compared to some other males next to him. I tried the egg spot test but its so hard to tell because he/she is mostly white-ish (I am brand new to here so idk how to post pics,

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

3. Cat Catherine

Cat Catherine Valued Member Member

Can you post a picture? Is it from a local or chain?

4. OP
    OP
    m

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And yes from petsmart he/she is tiny

5. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That's a male. And wow, he is stunning!

6. OP
    OP
    m

Thank you he was label as an dumbo halfmoon. Is there a reason why he is so small he is at least only an inch all the other males were huge compared to him. His cup was absolutely disgusting is that why?
    URL=https://www.fishlore.com/imagehost/?pt=R4UL][​IMG][/URL]

7. Cat Catherine

Cat Catherine Valued Member Member

I asked because I know at my Petco they sell "baby betta's" that are cheaper/ a lot smaller. Does the label on the cup say baby boy? Or just male betta?

8. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I find that the fancier varieties are often smaller. I don't know if that's because they put so much energy into growing their fins or what or if it's all the inbreeding that has taken place to fix the trait. In any case, clean water and good care can't do him any harm and you may find that he grows a bit now that you've got him!:)

9. OP
    OP
    m

It just said male betta. I've seen those baby bettas before but the petsmart I went to only had males so I wasnt sure if they were just trying to be cheap and but every single betta in "male" cup

10. OP
    OP
    m

Ive been looking for a betta to put in my fluval spec iii and I felt so bad for him he had the dirtiest cup out of everyone, but was swimming around and flaring while the others laid on the bottom not moving.