Gender Of Fish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Shannah, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Shannah

Shannah New Member Member

Hello all!
    I've had my fish for a couple of days now, & I'm already incredibly fascinated by them! I was wondering if anyone can tell the gender of my rainbow shark & blue dwarf gourami?
    Also, I feed my gourami as much as he can eat in a couple of minutes, but it seems like he's still hungry and asking for more at the glass when he sees I'm around, is this normal? He tries to eat everything, including my finger! Lol
    Thanks in advance!
    IMG_1618.JPG
    IMG_1611.JPG

2. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

As far as I know the dorsal fin of a male Gourami is bigger and overall "prettier" than the one of a female Gourami. Kind of like Mollys. Your Gourami is probably young tho and you may have to wait a little bit before jumping on conclusions.
    I don't know how to sex Rainbow sharks but I do know that they get quite big (15 cm) and can get quite territorial and agressive when they reach maturity so you should read about that and make sure you are giving him a proper house so problems don't arise.
    Some fish have pretty amazing personalities, he probably isn't begging for food haha. And even if he is begging you don't want to overfeed, even if he eats it all.

3. OP
    OP
    Shannah

Thank you for your reply! I have researched extensively about the rainbow shark, he's got a huge rock he loves to hideout in and some caves, and I'm sure he will be getting more additions as time goes on! I do believe I got lucky w/ the Gourami as I know they are shy, but he seems to want attention as he's always following me around the tank lol

4. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum, the shark I have no idea the DG looks like it might be a male but hard to see, if it has a lot of color to it it's probably a male, can you get a better picture of it, maybe from the side?

5. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

I'm pretty sure the DG is male, not sure about the shark.

6. OP
    OP
    Shannah

Thank you all so much for your replies! I had a feeling the gourami was male, but the shark I really have no idea about!
    Here's a better side view: IMG_1635.JPG

7. CrazedHoosier

CrazedHoosier Well Known Member Member

A very beautiful male! How's his temper? I had a male once who was very peaceful, but then I got a female who terrorized every fish in my tank!

8. OP
    OP
    Shannah

Thank you very much, I got him about five days ago & he's really grown on me! The first day or two he was at the bottom hiding in plants and only came out for food, he also danced around the rainbow shark and lunged him at him a couple times & got pretty territorial but they now tolerate each other! My DG has also become very curious the past 3 days, and when I'm around the tank for a couple of hours a day (sometimes more) he just follows my every move, lol! They're very interesting fish, and I love how they all have different personalities! How did you handle the female that terrorized everyone?

9. CrazedHoosier

CrazedHoosier Well Known Member Member

She got her own tank for most of her life. I thought she was immortal for most of her life. She beat up a male paradise fish! She unfortunately died from my mistake. I filled the water up too high in her tank when I was in a hurry.

10. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

Nice looking male DG, I have a male and female together in a 40 gal. that get along with everybody so far. Finding a female was the hard part.

11. OP
    OP
    Shannah

Oh no! We all learn from our mistakes though. Maybe her plan all along was to be mean and get her own tank, haha!

Thank you! I may add another DG sometime in the future, what two DG's do you have together?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  12. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

Might be slightly off topic, but what do you mean/how did filling the tank up too high kill her? (I'm fairly new to fishkeeping and trying to make as few mistakes as possible)

13. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Paradise fish are labyrinth fish that need to access air from the surface to breath, so if you filled the tank up too close to the lid any labyrinth fish could drown:( Bettas and gouramis are also labyrinth fish.

14. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

Thank you! I'm glad I asked; I never would have known that.

15. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Happy to help:) There's nothing wrong with asking for extra information, it could save your fish's life someday:)

16. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Betta splendens is not an obligate air breather, they cannot drown.

Most species of gourami, on the other hand, can.

17. OP
    OP
    Shannah

Good afternoon!
    I woke up today to find white AND brown stringy poop coming from my DG. Does anyone know if this is a parasite, or..? IMG_1646.JPG

18. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

What do you feed your DG? It doesn't look too out of the norm.

Where did you purchase your DG from?

19. OP
    OP
    Shannah

I got him from petsmart (I know, bad idea) but he was so lovely I had to get him! They've only been fed topfin tropical flakes

20. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

Keep an eye on it. Hopefully you don't see any white only stringy poop. If you do, then it might be a sign of parasite.

Lol. We've all started off getting fishes from Petco/Petsmart, eventually it was a hard lesson learned for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice