Question Gender Of Fish - Guppies And Endlers?

Rocco04

Reaction score
IMG_2458.JPG
IMG_2435.JPG

I have three endlers and this lone guppy in my tank and I was curious of what gender they are ? I noticed the fish sometimes look to nip at each others fins but I read online this is okay and usual in a male only tank. Very curious ! If need more photos please ask I can do my best to take better but these guys are quick !

PeteStevers

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The guppy looks to be a male since it has a pointed bottom fin (gonopodium). Females have a rounded analfin. It appears you may have a male and female Endler. Not positive.

Rocco04

Reaction score
The guppy looks to be a male since it has a pointed bottom fin (gonopodium). Females have a rounded analfin. It appears you may have a male and female Endler. Not positive.
IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2465.JPG

Here are two clearer photos. The third endler looks exactly like the one without the color in its tail.

PeteStevers

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would add a few females (more if you can). You don't want to end up with a situation where there are only a couple of females or the males won't leave them alone. Having more, will give the females a break from them.

Guppygirl88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
View attachment 566591 View attachment 566592

I have three endlers and this lone guppy in my tank and I was curious of what gender they are ? I noticed the fish sometimes look to nip at each others fins but I read online this is okay and usual in a male only tank. Very curious ! If need more photos please ask I can do my best to take better but these guys are quick !
they are all 3 males only add females if your tank is big enough because the males will definitely stop fighting with each other

Rocco04

Reaction score
I would feel comfortable adding 2 females if it would stop all of the little fights in the tank lol. Do you think that would solve my problem ?

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like already been mentioned, all three are male. But those other two aren't endlers but guppies as well. More wildtype.

Chasing or even nipping is a sign of dominance which happens in a tank with one gender (could be just males or females). In general, that will pass after a while...

Guppygirl88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like already been mentioned, all three are male. But those other two aren't endlers but guppies as well. More wildtype.

Chasing or even nipping is a sign of dominance which happens in a tank with one gender (could be just males or females). In general, that will pass after a while...
I thought Endlers were Guppies,at least how Guppies got started? Endler discovered or bred them?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought Endlers were Guppies,at least how Guppies got started? Endler discovered or bred them?
They are separate breeds but close enough that they can reproduce fertile offspring. These look to be a fancy male and three feeder type males (many feeder guppies can have excellent color given the chance without ever touching a fancy female, i've had a nice lavender male produced before). There are several types of wild guppy, some hobbyists even make the effort of producing them to reintroduce or keep the line alive (as some former habitats can no longer support the fish).

Guppygirl88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are separate breeds but close enough that they can reproduce fertile offspring. These look to be a fancy male and three feeder type males (many feeder guppies can have excellent color given the chance without ever touching a fancy female, i've had a nice lavender male produced before). There are several types of wild guppy, some hobbyists even make the effort of producing them to reintroduce or keep the line alive (as some former habitats can no longer support the fish).
Fascinating it's sad to think all the amazing color variations we are losing due to habitat loss in just these little fish

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you add females you should aim for a ratio of 2f for every male so you should add 8 fish. You need to make sure your tank can handle the addition how nig is it.

Rocco04

Reaction score
If you add females you should aim for a ratio of 2f for every male so you should add 8 fish. You need to make sure your tank can handle the addition how nig is it.
I think I’m going to just let the males figure out their hierarchy while keeping a close eye on them. I have a lot of hiding spots and live plants. Hopefully it slows down soon ! Thank you everyone for your input !

Casper&Mushu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The guppy seems to be a male, a more colourful pattern as opposed to the drab gray and white colours of females.

Endlers look to be male too.

emeraldking

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Like Mcasella already mentioned, endlers ain't guppies. They're related. The problem is that the commercial trade likes to call a lot of wild guppies and wildtype guppies endlers to make them sell better.
And of course, there are a lot of people that think that endlers are guppies. Which nobody can blame them for, btw... For they look a bit like wild guppies.

In definition there are four groups that are put together, which make the guppy and guppy related family:
1. Poecilia reticulata (current name)
2. Poecilia wingei (current name)
3. Poecilia obscura
4. Poecilia kempkesi

So, not every guppy is a Poecilia reticulata. There are differences in their DNA.

Micopoecilia strains belong to a subgenus.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with others, all look male. What size tank are they in? Adding females can help if there is enough tank space. You can also add more plants and such to help break up the sight lines and see if that helps at all

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom