Gender Confused African Dwarf Frogs Help

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by newnichol, Mar 20, 2010.

1. n

newnichol New Member Member

Hello all. I seem to have 2 gender confused ADF's, which means I am also confused. For simplicity I will call them A & B. A is quite larger then B. A has 1 red bump under A's arm. A constantly sings in a hum. B is quite smaller. A gets near B and begins putting A's back toward B and even stamps A's feet.

B has a shiny silver spots on either side just above the front arms. Both have bumps between their legs.

HERE IS THE CONFUSION...A would seem to be the male based on the foregoing BUT B is the one who grabs onto A. A then continues to sing and waves A's back feet. B tugs at A as if to make A move. Usually A bucks B off. B "hugs" A just behind the front arms rather than at the waist. A only sometimes tries to grab B but usually just hangs onto B's leg or the like.

WHAT GENDER ARE A AND B?? I am not sure they even know! Please help, I have changed their names so many times but cannot figure out which is which. BOTH A AND B ACT MALE!
    Thank you, Eve

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!!
    Your frogs sound really cute.
    Sure sounds like A is a male. Fems don't sing.

The bumps between their legs, if you follow the link Ken gave, you'll see my male also has a little bump, but my female's is more pronounced.

Females are generally larger and plumper than males. However, if they're different ages, or one eats more than the other, that can be deceiving.

Could be that B is also a male, but younger and practicing.

4. OP
    OP
    n

newnichol New Member Member

Now B has a round pink circle under each arm. I am so confused!

5. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

maybe they are both male

6. trinket

trinket Well Known Member Member

They could both be male. With the "mating" thing..frogs will grab onto whatever, whether what they're grabbing is male or female, or if they are male or female.

It does sound like A is male to me but I'm not sure about B.

Both my frogs have turned out to be male, both have the bumps behind their arms and have a small "nib" at their butt-I've read this bit is more pronounced in females. Females also grow a bit bigger and are more pear shaped-but you can't tell that until they're more mature, so if your frogs are young, you might not be able to tell yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice