Gender/ breeding goldfish

Amaracalle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am currently attempting to breed goldfish but I’m unsure of the gender of the comets I have or how to breed them as the internet does not give much repetitive information, would anyone by chance know?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When males are ready for breeding they will get breeding “stars” on their gill plates and often on their fins. Females get plump with eggs.

As for how to breed them, I’m not 100% sure on that but with carp species they go through a yearly cycle. In an out door pond you’d have better luck. Generally they have to go through a winter/cooling cycle. In the spring they will be ready to spawn.

It can and does happen in the home aquarium but the tank needs to be quite large and well maintained. Comets grow pretty big so a big tank is needed.

OP
Amaracalle

Amaracalle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am in the process of finishing their pond which is between 1500-2000 gal but boxes off into 2 separate 500 gal ponds connect by above and below “trench systems” but I didn’t want to put them in the pond till spring/summer when it’s warmer plus the larger 6 comets I have together are only 3-5 inches long. I normal don’t bother with goldfish but I won them at a fair becuz of a gambling problem I have and ended up falling in love with them I figured I would breed them. Would the pond be a better environment for breeding or should I make a 3rd pond for that specifically?

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you plan on including plants for the pond then I’m sure some fry will survive in there. Big ponds are how these fish are produced as it is so it should be just fine.

OP
Amaracalle

Amaracalle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do goldfish fry eat plants?

BettaNgold

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I actually breed goldfish myself. They are probably about the hardest fish to sex by looking but the females have a little vent or v-shaped area underneath that sticks out by the anus area. Males concave in. Very small difference and needs training to determine but it can be done. Even I mess up at time and find a male that is actually a female. Best way is to wait for breeding season when the breeding spots will display on gill plates and Fins of males. The female will get fatter and fill with row (eggs). The male will then knock the female around and chase her to stimulate her to drop her eggs. The male will then swim over the eggs and fertilize them. You will find the eggs all over the tank but mostly on plants. They stick to objects. Fertilized eggs will be clear and unfertilized ones will be opaque. The easiest thing to do is to put a spawning mop in the tank. The female will drop her eggs on it. Once fertilized which should occur immediately after she drops the eggs, you can pull the spawning mop up and place it in a prepared nursery tank. Add a drop of methylene blue to prevent fungus in eggs. In about 48 hours you will then find tiny alien looking fry sticking to the glass of the tank. Very small, like an eyelash. Don’t feed for 48 hours as they will eat their yolk sac during this time. After 48 hrs, begin feeding HikarI First Bites Or New Life Spectrum Grow Starter powdered fish foods. At 2 weeks they can eat live baby brine shrimp which you hatch yourself. Hope this helps!

OP
Amaracalle

Amaracalle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It does thank you!
What is spawning mood?

New Threads