Gel-Tek

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Has anyone here heard of this medication? I found it at Petco when I went there the other day. I have been thinking of using it to treat Barney and BenjI for there fin rot. I bought the Penicillin and the Tetracycline.

CherryRose :-\

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've seen them, but not tried them yet. They look like good products if they work as advertised and quite a variety. Please let us know how they do for BenjI & Barney. They may have another new customer if they do the trick for you. I hope they do, in which case I'll probably add that to our ever-growing list of supplies to buy.. now if the money would just grow the same way..

genie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have used Gel-Tek Ampicillin. The fish are supposed to eat it, but Cobalt had to be tricked. He wouldn't eat the medicine, so I covered his betta pellets in it. That worked and the finrot seems to be cured. Let me know how it works for you.

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I will have to wait a few days before I try it as right now Barney and BenjI are on their 2nd day of Maracyn Two. If that doesn't heal them the next step is Gel-Tek. I will keep you posted.

CherryRose ;D

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The gel-tek should be safe to use with other meds since it is eaten (but I'm not 100% positive on that). It may be more effective to use the gel-tek in conjunction with the Maracyn 2. What is wrong with Barney and Benji? (sorry, I haven't been on the forum in a while) Hope they get better soon.

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
I've bought the GelTek for Apollo the other day. Today was his last day on Maracyn-2 and I fasted him today, so tomorrow, i'm hoping to give him a small water change, and starting him on the gel tek, I can't remember which one I bought him, it's the red/pinkish one. Haha I can't remember the specifisc medication that's in it. :-\ But I'll let you know how it works! ^_^

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
~Sparkling Diamonds~ said:
I've bought the GelTek for Apollo the other day. Today was his last day on Maracyn-2 and I fasted him today, so tomorrow, i'm hoping to give him a small water change, and starting him on the gel tek, I can't remember which one I bought him, it's the red/pinkish one. Haha I can't remember the specifisc medication that's in it. :-\ But I'll let you know how it works! ^_^
LOL.. sounds like ERYTHROMYCIN or AMPICILLIN. I see that Gel-Tek also makes some products that aren't strictlly meds or are like "combo meds",
- has anyone used any of those?

Sparkling Diamonds

Reaction score
Alright, so I tried to give Apollo the GelTek this morning, and he didn't really respond to it. It didn't float well, and in order for him to eat any, a pellet needed to be attached. Thing is, my boys were raised with eating live bloodworms. So, they don't like eating pellets. I tried mixing the meds with bloodworms, but once they hit the water, they seperated. So... that's a no go for me, personally. Might work for other bettas who do eat the pellets.

And I got the pennicillin one.

OP
C

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
I am now using the Gel-Tek for Barney and Benji. I think the fin rot is looking much better but am going to use the Gel-Tek Penicillin for the 4 days as is suggested. Then I will allow them to go med free and see what happens.

I also had difficulty getting the meds into the fish. Even when I coated the freeze dried blood worms to feed Barney and Benji, it seemed like the gel disolved too quickly to do much good. Then I decided to put the blood worms into the 5 drops of gel and let it set for a while. The gel hardened pretty quickly and when I gave the gel covered blood worms to Barney and Benji, they quickly gobbled them up!

Where there's a will there's a way!
CherryRose ;D

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great idea I will remember that one on the ones that they are supposed to get internally.

Thanks for sharing. You have the best ideas.

Rose

New Threads