geesh, what fish to get

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Bribaby, Apr 2, 2010.

1. B

Bribaby New Member Member

Ok so I have a 30 gallon tank, about to get my fish. A little background of my previous tanks. I've had 13 tanks running at once. Bred many different kinds and kept many different kinds. Now with that said, In this tank I want to get some fish I don't usually get....

The only thing I know for sure is I am going to get two clown loaches. Yes I know about the 16 inch size and demand for the tank water quality. I have tem in other tanks and had many before it's my favorite fish and yes I will be moving hem to a much bigger tank in the future. about 2 months from now. So that won't be a problem. Other then that I don't know what to put with them...

About the tank.... Blue Sand, few flake plants, obviously 5 hiding places for the loaches and other fish (pot's, caves, pvc) Any ideas? Thank you

2. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

I was going to say Jewel Cichlids but don't know if you like them or what else are you thinking on putting in the tank. Jewels are pretty aggressive during spawning time.

3. OP
    OP
    B

thank you, i'll look into them. As for what I am looking for, really anything, Completely open to anything that wont hurt my clowns lol. Trying to go out of my normal fish keeping and getting new ones.

4. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

How about GBRs and some flame tetras?

5. OP
    OP
    B

GBRs?

6. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

GBR is German blue rams. But I think that since you already have the clown loaches that will outgrow your tank I'm pretty sure they may need a bit more space. You could get a couple angels although those will probably out grow the tank as well. Maybe some mollies or something along those lines?

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If you are just going to move the clown loaches to a larger tank in 2 months, why even considder them for 30 gallon stock?

8. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I agree, why not just wait two months when you have the new tank to buy them. I doubt you'll be able to catch them out of the 30 gallon when you go to move them anyways. I work at a pet store and it's a pain in the neck to catch them in the tiny tanks they're in. They're VERY fast little bugers.

9. OP
    OP
    B

To the blue Rams I've been thinking about them after I read some information about them. And, as for the questions for the two months. I already have the tank and my pet store rarely gets them in, goes months at a time with none. I am moving in two months (not far so not much stress on a car ride) and will be setting up my tank there. I can't put them in their now because the tank is stocked right now. When I move I am switching fish around (giving some to friends or different tanks) and the 30 is empty. I know they are very quick lol. No decoration is going to be in the tank for sure when going to catch them lol. Thank you for the advice on tank mates. Always open if anyone else has any. Lots of great ideas so far thank you!!

10. S

Sammyboi1993 Valued Member Member

You Could Try Spotted HeadStanders There Different and are not hard to look After.
    GBR are Nicce I Have a Pair and I Love Them.
    Hatchet Fish

11. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I figure that hatchet fish are extremely sensitive to water parameters and should only be added to an aged tank of preferably set up for at least a year.

12. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Look into all the different species of Apistogrammas??..the South American Dwarf cichlids?? (Rams are grouped with them but are not apisto's) It would take some research but there are some very unique fish. Prefer soft Acid water. Nesting would be tough with the loaches..if you wanted to breed them.

13. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

How about a pair of kribensis? You could do a pair and some dither fish, like swordtails or some tetras larger than neons.

14. S

Sammyboi1993 Valued Member Member

Kribs are Good, Bit Agressive when spawning but generall are ok

Spotted Head Standers !

15. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

lol...Keep that "Agressive" word in mind!! Most cichlids take that route when pairing and breeding....all to different degrees, but they can change the nature od your tank!!

16. OP
    OP
    B

I'll look into the Hatchet fish. the tank they are going into has been and still is set up for about 9 years now, just fully stocked and the clowns couldn't go in right now. When the tank moves, keeping the same water in it, just a water change.

17. a

aquariumgirl lauren Valued Member Member

Whoa! I never knew that you were supposed to have your tank set up for 1 year before putting hatchet fish in! I put some in my tank and it was only going for about 4 months, but they have been doing great none have died yet and it's been about a month. I'll keep a eye on them.

Oh by the way hatchet fish are very entertaining to watch and they have the coolest shape to them. But they are schooling fish so you would have to get at least 5 or 6 and they are top swimmers. Also you can mix up marbled hatchet fish and silver hatchet fish and they will school together. But if you get them your aquarium should have a hood on it because these little guys can jump.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice