Gecko Vivarium!!!

aBettaNamedRoy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello all! I am awaiting my new crested gecko who will arrive tomorrow, and thought in the mean time to share some images of my gecko vivarium build! The terrarium contains a guinea chestnut and a large snake plant, atop some springtails for decomposition purposes. For the substrate I used a layer of hydroballs, separated from the soil by a screen. The soil is a mixture of Eco-Earth coconut fiber, organic, natural and pet-safe potting soil, aspen shavings, and sphagnum moss. I added some cork rounds to plant the chestnut in, along with some sanitized driftwood I found on a beach a while back (it was baked for over 2 hours). For the background, I used Great Stuff foam and aquarium grade silicon. I pressed cork rounds into the foam during the initial construction stages to give the gecko plenty of places to hide. After the foam dried, I shaved it away and coated the remaining surface with the silicon. Following that, I completely covered the wet silicon with coconut fiber and mosses to give it a naturalistic look. My gecko is coming in from an out-of -state breeder tomorrow, and I hope he likes the vivarium I have created for him!

I would really value some positive feedback/thoughts on my build. Thanks for taking the time to look at this post!
IMG_3666.JPG

Attachments

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hooray! I love the setup!
Congratulations on your gecko, I hope he pleases you!

Here's a picture of my crabitat
Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 3.30.26 PM.png

Western

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Im wanting to set up a vivarium but dont know whether to go amphibian or gecko...are they hard to keep?

aBettaNamedRoy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you all!
@Fanatic That is an awesome setup. The live plants seem to be really thriving!

@Western It depends on which species you are interested in keeping. Crested Geckos are fairly low-maintenance, however, they need routine care (feeding every 2-3 days for adults, misting for humidity maintenance, etc.) If you're looking for something that you can toss a few crickets in the terrarium with, it shouldn't be for a Crestie. If your around to provide the routine care, though, they make fantastic pets! Good luck!

@Dawn Michele Thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom