GE Plant & Aquarium bulb

1. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

Anyone have any experience with these? I just picked one up for my tank and the color was a lot 'warmer' than I expected. Gives the water an almost tannin look, which in a way makes it look more natural. Just wondering if anyone could confirm this is how they are supposed to look and also if you noticed any increase in plant growth using these bulbs.

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I used one on my 55, didn't have any plants though. It was def. a warmer color than the other bulb in the hood - the other had a purplish/blue hue to it.

3. pepetj Well Known Member Member

3,100K, that's the color temperature for the GE Plant & Aquarium T12 lamps. Way too yellow. I wouldn't use one of those.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

4. rt12 Member Member

I have something similar to that on my ten gallon. It has grown a little plant to a huge one. But that is only because water wisterias are very easy to keep and I use supplements in it. It doesn't really help much on plant growth. T5 HO or power compact do great jobs at growing plants

5. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll keep it for awhile just to see. I've had it for over a week now but my java moss seems to be propagating on my driftwood more...funny, java moss, the one plant I could never get to live....

6. pepetj Well Known Member Member

If you aim at low light plants, as Anubias barteri (several species to choose from), and Java fern, then a single lamp should work pretty well. All you might need to add is chelated iron.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

7. t-ace Member Member

I have been using one of those bulbs in my planted 29 gallon since I first set it up in august. I think that it has done great so far. I have the tank filled with low light plants (I have them listed in my aquarium info) and they are very healthy. I think that the ge bulbs are a great value compared to other much more expensive aquarium bulbs. I got mine at walmart for about 6 bucks. Two thumbs up from me!

8. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I bought a 2 pack of T8 bulbs from Lowes for about $6.00. They are 6500K and several people on here said this is close to daylight and a great cheap bulb for live plants if you don't have a T5 or some high output set up.