GBRs?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Brokenshadows34, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Brokenshadows34

Brokenshadows34Valued MemberMember

Hey guys.

I just have a quick question. I'm most likely going to go to a farther-out LFS today, and last time I was in there, they had beautiful, vibrantly colored German blue rams. I was wondering when I'd be able to get a pair, I've been longing to pick some up. Truly beautiful cichlids.

I'm not going into this blind, I've done my research. I'll be doing a 25% gravel cleaning/water change before I go, so that should eliminate most of the nitrates in the tank.

I have a 45 gallon tank, stocked with 2 angels, 9 tetras (black phantoms, red eyes, and a single Congo that will be being re-homed soon) a Molly (that will also be re-homed shortly) and a butterfly gold-spot pleco.

My parameters are on my profile.

I have some love plants in the tank, 6 wisteria plants, a couple red ludwigias and a java fern. I still have some artificial (silk) plants in there, and a fake plastic driftwood cave-type structure.

The tank is very well established. It's been up for almost eight months, and the death rate is zero (except for some mollies, I've never had much luck with them from the LFS I go to. Bad stock, I guess. I haven't had a non-Molly death in several months.)

When do you guys think I should start looking to buy a pair of GBR's? If not soon, what should I do to prepare the tank?

Thanks.

2. skar

skarWell Known MemberMember

I'm no expert... I say go buy one or two.
    I'm with you I think they are the most beautiful fish to add.
    I'm not sure why they are considered so fragile, it seems you either have good luck with them or you don't. Good luck

3. Adam55

Adam55Well Known MemberMember

Your tank definitely has the room to house the GBRs, so go for it.

4. OP
    OP
    Brokenshadows34

Thanks. I have frozen brine shrimp prepared and soaking in water, to try to entice them to eat if I do get any today. I've read about many cases where they were picky eaters at first.

My ammonia and nitrite never waver from zero, and now that I have plants, my nitrates are very low as well. I think they should be fine concerning the "age" of the water and the quality of it.

Still, I'm nervous. But I might give it a shot.

5. Adam55

Adam55Well Known MemberMember

Don't be nervous. Things start to go sideways when you doubt what you're doing. You know what you're doing, so just keep doing it. The rams will be fine.

6. skar

Don't be over worried. They are beautiful fish !! I got the one in my tank from fragging petsmart and it's
    doing great. I'm sure yours will too.

7. OP
    OP
    Brokenshadows34

That's very comforting, if a supposedly delicate fish from a chain store like that is doing well. :) Still, I'll test my water before I go and triple check to see if their rams look healthy before thinking about buying a pair. That is, if they have a tank of them.

One more question: I know I'd get more than one, since one by itself would be very shy and timid. Should I get a pair, or a harem of one male to a couple females. I've heard of both working before, I just don't know as to which is best.

8. skar

I'm really unsure on that; I currently only have one. Since you are testing the waters so to speak
    I suggest 1m and 1f for the time being.

9. OP
    OP
    Brokenshadows34

Thanks.

And, just to be sure, sexing rams: females have shorter, more rounded, and less sharp fins? Like, they almost fade instead of ending with an obvious edge? And more pink on the belly?

Males have raised rays on their dorsal fins, sharper V-shaped tail, less pink on the belly, pointier end to their dorsal and anal fins, and more defined edges to their finnage?

Am I correct or horribly wrong?

10. skar

I'm no expert. But I only know how to sex mature rams. Which is the females have a large pink oval on their belly. It Is obvious when you see it. What you said seems correct yet I really am unsure. There is a subforum on this site that defines this better. Good luck.

11. OP
    OP
    Brokenshadows34

Turns out they didn't have any, but I'll call and go pick a couple up when they have some. Thanks for all the advice, guys!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice