Gbr's Arrive Tomorrow - Progress Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsumner

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd like everyone to cross your fingers -- my German Blue Rams arrive tomorrow. I ordered 6 from LiveAquaria and I have my 75g planted tank in tip-top shape for them this time around. Well, my PH is still a little high (6.8 to 7), but I don't want to go crazy with adding too many buffers to the water.

My last attempt at GBRs was at the beginning of the summer when I ordered 2 from LiveAquaria. They both arrived alive on delivery (though a little hot from the Texas-bound transit) with both dying within 48 hours. I thought I (and my tank) was mature enough to handle the GBR's at the time, but I was wrong.

I feel confident this go around. I'm hoping to keep all 6 alive and have some pairing. GBR's are the one species that got me excited and intrigued about this hobby, so I hope I can keep them happy.

I'll keep you guys updated on the day-to-day (if not the hour-to-hour).

JeffK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounds great - make sure you post some pictures once they've settled in!

OP
rsumner

rsumner

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
GBR's arrived today at 10:30AM via UPS. Everyone was alive on arrival. I quickly unpacked them, dimmed the lights on my Fluval Planted 2.0's, and floated the bags for acclamation. I dropped the 18 Nerite snails that arrived in this shipment into the tank after temps were good and moved on to parameter acclamation by introducing water into bags. After about 15 minutes of parameter acclamation, I netted the 6 German Blue's and the 3 Bolivians and let them swim into the tank. Here's a video of how things are looking now:

The current state: the 3 Bolivans and 4 of the 6 GBR's seem to be doing really well. Unfortunately, one of the GBR's looks like it got picked on pretty bad either in transit or while it was at the distributor. Another one of the GBR's looks healthy physically, but is spending a lot of time at the bottom with it's head pointed at a 45 degree up. As long as the little guy that looks like it lost a few scales near it's dorsal fin is able to hold its own in my tank, then I think it will be fine, but I'm really worried about the heads-up one.

I'll provide further updates as they're available, folks.

OP
rsumner

rsumner

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The Bolivans and the German Blues are in the same tank. Everyone seems to be playing nicely together. The Bolivans are more worried about the other Bolivans and could care less about the GBR (just as much as they care little about the Neon Tetras and Cory Cats).

I'm keeping them around 77.5. This morning, when I walked into the office, I noticed that I lost the one that was a little beaten up in transit. The other one that was showing signs of trouble is looking a little better this morning.

Here's a pic I was able to snag of all of the remaining 5 in the same frame. Please excuse the CO2 bubbles -- I'm working on getting an inline reactor . Of course, the Electric Blue Acara has to be front and center.

Bettanewb

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry he didn't make it

Bolivians are a cooler water fish and would probably do better in around 76f the germans I don't think I would keep below 79f just my 2 cents

OP
rsumner

rsumner

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
These GBRs continue to keep me on my toes. I can’t help but constantly check on them like I did my kids when they were newborns. I caught a few of them hanging around the heater this afternoon, so @Bettanewb may be on to something.

I’m having an extra margarita tonight hoping that when I check in on everyone in the morning all is well.

OP
rsumner

rsumner

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, I don't have good news to bring from the weekend: I came into my office on Saturday morning and noticed I lost two more GBR's and lost the remaining three on Sunday morning. I'm working with LiveAquaria to get a credit on my account for the $70 in fish, but I'm beside myself on what could have caused it. My water conditions are impeccable, so the only thing that I can think could have been the cause is temp or pH. LiveAquaria states on their site that their captive bread are happiest between 72 and 79 and I had them in my tank at 77.5. My pH is a stable 7 to 7.2 with absolutely no sway.

I went out this weekend and purchased a high dollar digital pH meter to keep an eye on things more closely vs the API droppers.

Ideas? At this point, my wife has outlawed GBR's due to the obsession and disappointment they bring into my life.

BTW, the Bolivians and Snails are doing great.

OP
rsumner

rsumner

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm definitely going to bring-up the topic of temperature to LiveAquaria then. @Culprit, I know you're just providing your two cents, but check out their site showing the temps being exactly the same for the two:

GBR:

Bolivian:

This is either a typo or an explanation that their captive bread GBR's are better acclimated to cooler temps.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Sorry if I offended you. As many on here will attest, live aquaria is not always the best at most stats. I trust seriously fish almost exclusively as it is a true scientific database. I see that live aquaria posts both temps as 72-79 but 72 is far too cool for a GBR. Most people keep GBR's at 80-82. Seriously Fish says that the minimum temp is 78.8 to 86*. Middle of the range is generally the best, so 82.

Bolivian Ram on Live Aquaria says 72-79, the same as a GBR. GBRs and Bolivians do not come from the same temperature of water. Seriously fish says they can go from 68 to 82. However, the reasons the temperature ranges is because in the dry season, everything drys up and gets shallower, therefore heating up. So they can endure the heat for a season, but they should not be constantly living in 82* water. Thats why you keep them in the middle of that range. Its not the high temps for a season or the low temps for the season. Instead you keep them right in their comfort range.

OP
rsumner

rsumner

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@Culprit, oh no offence was taken -- I'm sorry if it came across that way. I really do appreciate your input and my comments were only to make sure you understood that I wasn't blaming you for LiveAquaria's misguidance

toolman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Second what @Culprit said, bolivians and gbr's are not temp compatible. Sorry about your ordeal, unfortunately fishkeeping is a continual learning process but FishLore will help ...keep reading and dont get discouraged.

OP
rsumner

rsumner

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
After using my new Hanna digital pH tester, my tank pH is actually 6.52 around 4pm after running CO2 in it all day. From the tap my pH is just under 7. So, with that being said, the only possible thing I can think of is the temp. Thanks to both @Culprit and @toolman for the encouragement and overall guidance that if I do plan on doing GBR's in the future, I'll keep them in their own tank at much higher temps.

I did send LiveAquaria a note asking them for their comments on the temperatures that they have posted online, so I'm anxious to see what they say.

ktorg

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Unfortunately, there can be a ton of conflicting info online. Anyone can post anything they want so you have to find a reputable source.
I definitely agree that the temperature is a huge factor in your GBR die off, they should be kept in much warmer water, but another thing to consider is the quality of your stock. Rams can be difficult and delicate enough already so you want to get the best specimens that you can. One time I heard someone say that LiveAquaria is like the "Petsmart/Petco of online fish sales!!" Haha! They might have a big selection, but their fish aren't usually the best quality or very well cared for and their information is like what they would give you at one of the big stores.
If you want to take a go at rams again I suggest you take a look at Aquabid.com if you haven't already. There are several great ram breeders on there that can get you great fish for a good price. I recommend you look at Coralbandit's rams cause he includes shipping in the price of the fish!
Check out these links on Aquabid if you are interested! Hope they help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom