Gbr

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ASHLEY R COOK, Apr 22, 2018.

1. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOKWell Known MemberMember

A lot of the info I find on German blue rams say they can be hard to acclimate and keep.
    Is it true that they die easily. I saw some in person and they are so cute and beatuiful but I don't want to move into difficult territory yet.
    My Ph is 8.2
    And I have very hard water.

2. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

My source water isnt good. The gbr at my lfs do fine. I had them in my tank for a few months before they succumbed to whatever is in my source water. It can also be difficult to get hearty stock.

3. OP
    OP
    ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOKWell Known MemberMember

Could i keep just one instead of a pair?

4. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

My understanding is they are fairly sensitive fish requiring lower Ph, GH and warmer water. They won't live long with your water.

5. TLOP

TLOPValued MemberMember

I had a pair of gbr that spawned 3 or 4 times in water with a pH of 7.8. As long as you don't have pH swings, it might be okay to have them at that pH

6. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppyWell Known MemberMember

She also said she has hard water... and remember, Ph scale is logrithmic, so 8.2 is a lot higher than even 7.8.

7. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

My experience (and I stress it is only my experience) is that rams (other than Bolivians) are very sensitive to water quality. Adding to that the genetics in the market place has been steadily going down with all the hobby breeders going under. I have heard that there is some very good stock available on line, but I personally do not know.

8. Jenoli42

Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

I too am in love with GBRs and alas I've resigned myself to admiring from afar. they need quite high temperature.

from stories of those who keep them successfully, they really do seem to be a species that thrive best in soft water at a pH below 7 despite being aquarium bred. (although temperature is more important than pH for captive breeds).

you could look into Bolivian butterfly rams which tolerate lower temps or cockatoo cichlids? not sure how those would do with hard water tho

9. Ohio Mark

Ohio MarkWell Known MemberMember

I have GBR's that were given to me unexpectedly. My water is on the hard side and my pH is 8.0. I have had them for a month, but I'm watching with misgivings... They have paired off and are digging pits in the sand and look bright and active, but it has only been a month. These are NOT fish I would have chosen for myself given my water conditions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice