Gbr Tail Bitten Off?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by RookieTank, Apr 19, 2019.

1. RookieTankValued MemberMember

It appears the smallest GBR I have has lost a portion of his tail. I have 2 other females, I think, and one of them I have seen chasing. Do I need to treat the tank or separate the fish?

75 gallon tank so there is a lot of room, or so I thought.

These pictures are about 2 days apart. 20190416_180051.jpg20190419_163431.jpg

2. BettaishValued MemberMember

Clean water is the best cure for ripped fins. Just do regular water changes to make sure it doesn't get infected, and keep a close eye on aggression in the tank. Good luck :)
    Also, how long have you had them? If it's been a while then it might just be a one time occurrence with a grumpy female.

3. NavyChief20Well Known MemberMember

Looks more like the tail fin is folded like they do when feathering or gliding.

4. BettaishValued MemberMember

Agreed. Could you post another picture with his tail fully extended so we can see the damage?

5. RookieTankValued MemberMember

Here are two more pictures as well as the aggressive female. I watched for a while and never saw the tail fully extended. 20190419_170203.jpg20190419_170108.jpg20190419_170022.jpg

6. RookieTankValued MemberMember

As he was swinging off, the tail never fully extended. I never heard of folding of the tail so not sure what to look for.

7. coralbanditWell Known MemberMember

Unhealthy female .
    Base of tail to body looks to be infected or getting there ?
    What temp is tank ? Needs to be over 80f .
    Looks like you have 1 male and two females .
    You will have 1 male and 1 female when they are done .IMO and experience odd numbers never go well with rams .
    Even the other female will now be aggressive towards a female she may have otherwise not .

8. MorosithValued MemberMember

When it comes to pecking order cichlids can have some odd behavior. A lot of times the cichlids on the bottom of the totem pole will fade colors and keep their fins down.

The tank is pretty large for them, do they have plenty of caves/hiding spots? I’ve always found rams keep the peace better when there’s plenty of territory to claim.

I do agree rams do better in even numbers. Pairs will “watch each other’s backs” and it avoids having an odd man out.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2019
  9. RookieTankValued MemberMember

It's a 75 gallon tank with lots of plants, caves and rocks