GBR stocking

1. renegadefish Member Member

So I have a 20g high and 20g long that I want to put some ram fish in... Is it possible to put a pair of electric blue rams in with a pair of thick lipped honey fire gouramis in a 20g high? Anyone know? I really wanted a pair in both tanks if possible... A pair of electric blues and a pair of gold rams is what I want to start... I have a 55g I was think of putting some in as well but I have guppies in the 55 so not sure if that's ok. Any advice or knowledge of rams is welcome!

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

thicklip gourami's need more swimming space than a 20 high. If they are honey gourami's then a 20 high would likely be fine. A 20 high would probably be fine for a pair of rams but a 20 long would be better.

They should be fine with guppies in a 55 but I would monitor closely as it will likely depend on the temperament of the rams whether or not they will kill the guppies.

3. renegadefish Member Member

The thick lipped gouramis are the red version of the sunset honeys.. Basically the same size... They not the larger thick lipped ones. I have had the pair in my 20h for a few months now and they do great.. Was thinking of adding a ram or 2 with them but not sure.

4. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

5. renegadefish Member Member

[​IMG] these are my thick lipped gouramis... I live in portland Oregon and my LFS is a well known place called the wet spot... These gouramis will only get 2 inches but are called thick lipped honey fires. That's what they called them at wet spot. The wet spot is known nationally to have many rare kinds of fish. I have seen the thick lipped gouramis that get to be 4 inches... These are NOT those... To my knowledge they are a red color morph of a honey sunset. Same size as my other sunset honeys and very mellow temperament. Great fish! I have seen many different names for the same fish... At times I wonder who knows what lol!

6. renegadefish Member Member

[​IMG] another pic of one

7. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I can't be sure with the pics but they look like color morphs of the T. chuna. Naming conventions vary and lots of times LFS throw names around because they sound cool

8. JeffK Well Known Member Member

Sooooo jealous that Wet Spot is your LFS!

9. renegadefish Member Member

Yea didn't realize at first but I am lucky for sure!