Gbr Sexing Quest

Discussion in 'Ram Cichlid' started by Miaw, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Miaw

Miaw Valued Member Member

I have a female GBR who has outlasted any suitor I've presented her.
    IMG_20180410_092745.jpg IMG_20180411_214100.jpg

I saw a really great looking ram in the shop and it was the most male looking of them all. It had the longest dorsal and bottom fins. Not sure if he is though:
    IMG_20180411_214039.jpg IMG_20180411_214008.jpg

I'll try to take a couple of better pictures now after. It does seem there's not a great point at the back of the dorsal.

Any ideas off these pictures?

2. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

I'm 90% sure it's a male, but the lighting makes it difficult to tell for certain. Is there any chance that you could get a picture that shows his/her colour better?

3. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

2 easy ways to tell is that the females have pink bellies and the spangling (blue specks) on their side black dot. Males don't have spangling, females do.

4. OP
    OP
    Miaw

Okay here are some more pictures:
    IMG_20180411_235714.jpg IMG_20180411_235650.jpg IMG_20180411_235744.jpg IMG_20180411_235733.jpg IMG_20180411_235631.jpg
    He is the top one in last photo.

5. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

Yep, that's a handsome male you got.

6. OP
    OP
    Miaw

Brilliant. I saw him in the shop, I only went to buy a bucket but he stood out among like 30 rams, never seen one like it. The pictures don't do him justice. He is textbook GBR beautiful. There's such a vivid red line around his dorsal fin it is amazing :)

(Just googled pictures and he looks better somehow)

I hope he survives to adulthood!

I lost so many rams in the last year, simply trying to get a pair established. The tank he is in has been running for at least a year now so should hopefully be good, that female seems to be doing great at least too!

Thanks

7. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

For the future, an even easier way to tell then looking at the coloring since some fish are hormone injected these days. Looks near the anal fin for egg laying tube. either it has one or doesn't. Females have one, males don't.

8. OP
    OP
    Miaw

Thanks @DutchAquarium, I was actually having doubts about the female because she has like a pointy tube and in other species that indicates male.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice