Gbr Or Bolivian Rams?

dcocinci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you set aside the color/appearance of the two, what would be best with my setup and current/future stocking plans.

My tank is 65 gallons and going on 2 months old. Ph is around 7.5 and I've got 12 or so live plants. Since the tank is still newer, I'm still working on getting it fully stocked. Right now I have the following:

1 Albino BN Pleco
1 Blue Angel
3 Zebra Danio
5 Cardinal Tetra ( I plan to increase to at least 10, maybe 15)
5 Panda Cory ( I plan to increase to 10)

I'm aware the Zebras would be better off with more than 3, I bought them to help with cycling the tank since they are hardy. I'm not crazy about them so I don't want to add any more, I may see if one of the LFS will take them back.

Other than a pair of GBR or Bolivians, the only other thing I'm considering adding is some KuhlI Loaches, maybe 5. I just added the Cardinals and the Blue Angel 3 days ago so it will be several weeks, probably more before I end up getting the Rams whichever I decide on.

Is a pair of each out of the question?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
would depend on the temperature of your tank they have different temp requirements. Poor danios.

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You already have some minor stocking issues. With them, Bolivians

ambush0908

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 75 gal and have a pair of Bolivians and a pair of GBR's. Your current stock is similar to what I have in type of fish. I have more quantities than what you are planning and have no issues. The tank is moderately planted and I have about 4x recommended filtration. I also do 50% water changes weekly. I love both the GBR's and Bolivians but if I had to chose it would be the Bolivians. I have heard they live longer and their colors have really surprised me. The Bolivians are over a year old and the GBR's are around 10 months. Hope this helps.

Five 97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
GBRs require warm temps & BRs are more lower.

As mentioned, you have some stocking issues, if you'd like to discuss them.

dcocinci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sorry water temp is 79ish .

I'm fine with discussing issues with the stocking if you think there are problems. Aqua advisor I think only said zebras should be in 5 or more and bolivians could be aggressive towards Cardinals during mating. Also said it was under 100% stocked and plenty of filtrations based on the future numbers I posted above, not the current .

For filters I'm using a HOB top fin silenstream rated for 70 gallons and a fluval 406 cannisters

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Panda Corys, Zebra Danios, and BN Plecos require cooler water (72-75; same as Bolivians). Angels and Cardinal Tetras do best in at least 78 degrees (same as GBRs).

dcocinci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is from Aqua Advisor if it can be trusted. If this is true then only the Zebras are out of range. I've had them for almost 6 weeks now and they seem to be doing fine.

Warning: Water temperature requirements are not fully compatible between all selected species.
=> 66.2 - 82.4F: Panda Cory
=> 75.2 - 86F: Cardinal Tetra
=> 64.4 - 75.2F: Zebra Danio
=> 71.6 - 80.6F: Albino Bristlenose Pleco
=> 75.2 - 86F: Angelfish
=> 75.2 - 86F: KuhlI Loach
=> 78.8 - 86F: German Blue Ram
=> 75.2 - 78.8F: Bolivian Ram

Rainy day

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You shouldn't keep fish at the extremes of their temperature range unless you want to give them a shortened lifespan. Aqadvisor isn't all that reliable either, research individual fish on seriouslyfish and planetcatfish. What everyone's told you up there is right. If you want GBRs, rehome the BN, corys, danios and kick the temperature up to 82. If you want Bolivians, rehome the cardinals and angels and drop the temperature down to 75. Fortunately, there's corys and plecos that will do fine in warmer water, so you can replace your cool water fish without worry, should you choose to go with the GBRs.

dcocinci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I will check out those sites you mentioned. Thanks for all the comments. Honestly I have a hard time reading the temperature with what I have currently, I need to find a digital one.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Angels and bolivians do well in the same tank, I keep bolivians at 78F or so and they do fine. They can tolerate a large temp range IMO, and even though angels do better in higher temps they can easily tolerate temperatures down to 75F....

WadeEH

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aussieJJDude said:
Angels and bolivians do well in the same tank, I keep bolivians at 78F or so and they do fine. They can tolerate a large temp range IMO, and even though angels do better in higher temps they can easily tolerate temperatures down to 75F....
I agree with aussieJJDude . I have had my Angelfish, Bolivian Ram and BN Pleco together at 78F in my 55 gallon for four years and all are doing well.

dcocinci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I went with a pair of Bolivians and found someone to take the angelfish. It was getting aggressive mostly during feeding but once I added the Rams he would not leave them alone. No matter where they went he chased them around and nipped at them. I started a 10 gallon for my daughter using filter media from my tank and moved the zebra danios to it for now.

The guy at the LFS seems pretty knowledgeable and says he gave me one male and one female but I can't tell. Pictures attached .

Attachments

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nice looking Rams. Here is my Breeding Pair. Good Luck.

Bolivian Ram Pair.jpg

dcocinci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are you able to tell the sex of mine from the pictures I posted earlier? They seem to get along ok. Only when I feed them the bigger one which I was told is the male chases the smaller one around a bit

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads